Canada Trip by car.

randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
Next summer, the wife and I want to make a trip to see Canada, now pre planning . Just purchase a new Ford Escape to make some trips. She is a school teacher so it will be after school is out. 10 days at minimum trip. Since never being to Canada, was wanting to ask you guy's for site seeing advice. You guy's are the only Canadian connection, I have with anyone up there. Thanks in advance.  
Boat Name : 

Comments

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whooo. Where to start. Considering Canada is the second largest country in the world, you'll need to narrow it down a bit. What are your interests? City experiences? Nature? Coastal?
    Considering where you're located you could come up through Niagara Falls (our side is bigger) head into Toronto for some city/cultural stuff and then up into the Algonquin Park area for some nature/wildlife. The trip around the Great Lakes is beautiful, especially across the north part of Lake Huron/Georgian Bay and then back down through Sault Ste. Marie to the States. Heading east, Montreal or Quebec City are beautiful and very European in look and feel. Although French is the primary language, English is no problem in the tourist areas. The east coast, PEI, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland are beautiful but you'd need at least two weeks to cover it. Same as heading west. The drive across the Prairies can be monotonous but interesting if you've never seen it before and the Rockies are awe inspiring and Vancouver is a fun, but expensive city. Consider that from Toronto it takes two days of solid driving just to get to the Ontario/Manitoba border. So unless you're coming for a month you'll need to get an idea of what areas you want to see this time around.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    Willhound is the expert and has some great suggestions.

We've been to Toronto and Montreal and loved them both. They each have their own unique feel.

One thing I would suggest when in Quebec province: Try and make it clear you are not Canadian, otherwise you will probably not get spoken to in English. We found out - and were told by locals - that they have extreme pride in their province and expect French to be spoken by their fellow Canadians while in the province, but they give us dumb Americans a break and will use English with us. So when you walk in somewhere use your best Chicago or Brooklyn accent and ask "How you doin'?!" :-)
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guy's. I  live in southern Indiana, Probably will go to Detroit and cross over there, or just North of there at Port Huron then head east toward Quebec. Not sure if there is enough time to get to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Canada has so much to see from what I understand. Not interested in going west at this time. 
    Interest 
    a. Weed - nope don't smoke it, even if it is legal up there.  
    b. water ways - light house's 
    c. Marinas
    d. Good place's to eat, local cuisine
    e. Natural resources
    f. 3 great lake's and St Lawrence water way 
    g. architecture
    h. winery's 
    i. Would like to see the vast wilderness, a moose!

Boat Name : 

• TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    The drive from Detroit to Toronto is about five hours if you don't stop. You have a choice of two crossings, bridge (over water) or Detroit-Windsor tunnel (under water). I'd recommend the tunnel since it's different and IMO pretty cool. It's a fairly rural drive to Toronto, kind of like Indiana, lots of farmland. Depending on your time of day, London is a nice town about mid-way for a break.

If you've been to Chicago, Toronto will be similar (just cleaner and less crime potential). They are about the same size and both have nice lakefronts. Depending on your schedule, I'd highly recommend at least one full day (possibly two) and overnight in Toronto -- and definitely do the CN Tower (it's a tourism must) and just walking around downtown and the neighborhoods. There are numerous good restaurants and shopping all over. If you are in to history Casa Loma is also a must see. Even though the city is sorta on a grid street system, it did seem wayfinding was a bit problematic for us since GPS signals would get blocked by the tall buildings - so we'd get our directions late and miss turns.

I know others will chime in with better details, but we also use TripAdvisor and have not yet been disappointed with the fairly reliable recommendations we find there.

Have fun! 
  • halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    @randy56,if you decide to venture to the east coast (18 hours to Halifax from Toronto) it is worth the drive. Nice coastal drives around Nova Scotia. Highest in the world in Bay of Fundy, Cabot Trail in Cape Breton Highlands is a popular circuit with lots of scenic ocean views. Annapolis Valley is home to about 6 wineries with tours available. Lighthouses...we got em! Peggy's Cove is the most famous with several other located along the Lighthouse Route South Shore of the Provence. Architecture...the city was founded in 1749 with some nice old buildings located in the downtown as well as the original fort that guarded the city(open to the public) We have the best lobster on the planet!  Uncrowded beaches, no traffic to speak of, friendly people in all of Atlantic Canada, small marina's scattered around but mostly within 50 miles of Halifax.  We are a bit far for your number of days but make the trip some time. Best weather mid July through to late August. Province of about 950,000 with 400,000 of that in the metro area making NS a fairly rural province. Safe everywhere. Hope that helps.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you hit up the Falls, stay at Niagara on the Lake. There are a lot of B&B's there and less tourist traps. My wife and I did a winery tour on bikes. We had a blast, and bought a lot of wine. The wineries held it for us when we returned via car. Needless to say, we were pretty lit up by the end of the afternoon.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd suggest the Bruce Peninsula and below.  That includes Tobermory, Kincardine, Bayfield and Grand Bend.  Those are all great little towns and popular boating destinations.

Toronto is nice, and a quicker drive if you take the Canadian freeways from Sarnia or Windsor instead of going all the way around Lake Erie.  From there the Falls are not far.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

edited October 2018
    @randy56 Stodge has some good ideas too. I can see you're maybe thinking that Detroit or Port Huron is closer to you. But taking into account the usual delays at Detroit and then the long drove east to Toronto, Niagara Falls is just as fast. And then you're right in prime wine tour country too.
    If you don't want to cross right at Niagara Falls the Buffalo/Fort Erie crossing is usually easy and fast and still puts  you in wine country. That's usually how we go when driving to Florida.
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound good point.  We usually drive up to Port Huron to cross.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

It'll take more than 10 days to see Canada. It's big. I haven't even seen Canada and I've been here for 45 years! LOL.

From West Coast:

Victoria Island

Capilano Suspension Bridge Park

Lake Louise

Then drive to Toronto

Then drive to Montreal or even better Quebec City (it's older, more history)

Depending on how far out east you can go, but Nova Scotia is nice.

Take into consideration that getting from Lake Louise to Toronto is probably a 3 day drive if you stop only occasionally.

You might be rather tempted to go to Calgary Airport and fly to Toronto ... the drive isn't that great as you go through the plains ... very flat for hundreds of miles.

Have fun.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

You guys are awesome, I appreciate all the input. I'm going to have to get a map and highlight all these great tips.
    Boat Name : 

• F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    Go to old Montreal, and old Quebec city...awesome food and neat. Toronto...big city, upscale...lots to see. If you have 10 days plus, you could hit up the east coast as well.
    If you want to see the Canadian shield and wilderness, while you are in Toronto, you can head north on Hwy 400, go north about 3hrs and see Parry sound area, its close and can give you an idea of some remote area. The real remote places are too far to drive TBH. unless you have a few days to do it.

Canada is too big to see any of the west coast if you are coming through Detroit area.
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • thaliadanielsthaliadaniels Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2018
    I'll be driving around Canada with my chihuahua, just to be safe I'm thinking of getting one of these pet carriers. What do you think will be perfect for a small dog?
    Post edited by thaliadaniels on
    I realize this thread has nothing to do with boating or Rinkers, Moderators scold me is you wish. Studying, I ran across another story about our brothers of Canada. This is how one town in Canada gave during 9/11. I expect none had heard this story.

On the morning of September 11, 2001, the townsfolk of Gander (including Claude the mayor, Oz the police constable, Beulah the teacher, Bonnie the SPCA worker and others) describe life in Newfoundland and how they learn of the terrorist attacks taking place in New York City, Washington, D.C., and Shanksville, Pennsylvania .

The attacks result in US airspace being closed, forcing 38 international aircraft to be diverted and land unexpectedly at the Gander airport, doubling the population of the small Newfoundland town, which is unequipped for the influx of stranded travelers . The Gander townspeople spring to action and prepare to house, feed, clothe and comfort the nearly 7,000 passengers (along with 19 animals in cargo) . Meanwhile, the pilots, flight attendants and passengers are initially not permitted to leave the planes, forcing them to deal with confusing and conflicting information about what has happened and why they were suddenly grounded.

Once allowed off the planes and transferred to various emergency shelters in and around Gander , the passengers and crew watch replays of the attacks on the news and learn the true reason why they were grounded . The frightened and lonely passengers desperately try to contact their families and pray for their loved ones, while the townsfolk work through the night to help them in any and every way they can . The travelers are initially taken aback by their hosts' uncommon hospitality, but they slowly let their guards down and begin to bond with the quirky townsfolk and each other. The "islanders" in Gander and the surrounding towns open up their homes to the "plane people", regardless of their guests' race, nationality or sexual orientation. Two women, Beulah (from Gander) and Hannah (from New York), bond over the fact that both of their sons are firefighters, but Hannah's son is missing ("I Am Here"). Hannah asks Beulah to take her to a Catholic church, and a number of characters make their way to other houses of worship around town ("Prayer").

To alleviate rising fear and mounting tensions , the passengers are invited to be initiated as honorary Newfoundlanders at the local bar. The gravity of the attacks nevertheless continues to set in as US airspace is eventually reopened. One trailblazing pilot, Beverley Bass, comments on how her once optimistic view of the world has suddenly changed . 

Boat Name : 

• halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    @randy56 , that "maritime hospitality" is what sets us apart from the rest of Canada. We are well known for this helping attitude toward our guests. We do not have a lot to offer economically to the rest of the country,  but our salt of the  earth people, especially in the outports and rural communities are our best assets. During 9/11 in Halifax ( 40 international flights put down), the call went out for people to assist with billeting families if needed. We put our name in, but between the abundance of hotels and the volume of private homes on the list everybody was situated. Gander did an amazing job that week with FAR less resources than Halifax.
    Click on the link to read some insightful stories of local hospitality in the Pineapple Awards list.  http://www.tians.org/programs/pineapple-awards
    Nova Scotia is great but the Newfoundlanders are amazing hosts.
    The award winning musical " Come From Away" is based on the Gander story. Truly inspiring. Good people are good people. Doesn't matter where you come from. 
    @halifax212 , Great gob, from all who helped.
    @Willhound the musical "come from away" is where I found the info. Not yet in production yet. 
    Boat Name : 

edited November 2018
    @randy56 it's been running to packed houses in Toronto for almost a year now. I think has won a Tony award too. Not sure if running in New York yet.
    https://www.mirvish.com/shows/come-from-away
    Ahhh I did not know it was playing, Looked at the dates it will be over when we make the trip. Still a great story. 
    Boat Name : 

Don't be surprised if it gets extended. They're moving it to a larger theatre to handle the crowds.
    Thanks, it will make my wife happy as she is a music teacher and theater buff. We are still gathering info, on the summer trip. Lot's to see and do up there. 
    Boat Name : 

Thanks again for all who gave trip tip's. we have purchased ticket's to see the play on 5/30/18 , looking forward to visiting Canada. 
    Boat Name : 

@randy56 that's awesome! Drop me a PM and I can give you some ideas on things to check out, places to eat, stay etc. if you want. Downtown can be expensive for rooms, but can be worth it considering a good number of interesting things can be seen within walking distance. Waterfront, CN Tower, Ripley Aquarium, Chinatown, Kensington Market and a number of other attractions can be covered on foot.