so...where do these go?

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
I would have posted this on my thread for pulling my engine but I think everyone is so tired of looking at that, I figured I better start a new one...perhaps a moderator can merge it onto that thead as it has like 5000 plus views and hopefully might help someone, if nothing else like I was told often enough, take it to a shop.

Anyway....so I have these neat little tags with ties so when I take stuff apart, I generally know where stuff goes back. It is  darn shame I did not do it on the wires in the bilge.  There just aren't that many of them on an engine pull, certainly I'd remember where they all go.... I sure hope someone here does...

OK- ground wires I'd think are pretty easy. I have a bolt down on the back coupler housing....there is a ground wire from a block mounted on the transom right by the trim pump...there are two coming from the main harness running along side of the motor. So, I assume all of them go there.

There sure are a heck of a lot of positive wires to deal with. On my two battery set up which are not done in parallel, one battery has a plain positive and negative connectors on them, can't add anything to them. The other battery, which I assume is my starter battery, has a post to add other positive connections to. So, I assume I have one that goes to my genny and that runs towards the harness coming out of the genny so I think I have that one...did not look if there was a ground but did not pull anything off the ground side. I have one really long one that goes up to the battery switch, assume that goes to that battery. I have one on the harness that runs along the motor, assume that one goes to the starter. I have one other one with a weird post on it that I'm sure goes to the trim pump which I pulled out.  Sound about right? I have various pictures...

The wire that comes from the mercathode on mounted on the transom assembly, don't see where that plugs into... 

So, on the trim senders....I recall two wires went to the top of the motor.....there is another harness that runs along the transom I had to pull apart to get two other wires for those senders out of....don't seem to really identify on the wires which are for what....any clue on those???

On the trim pump, is there a ground for that? I have a loose bolt on the frame that something went to, assume it is a ground but can't tell by wire lengths or where they lay which ground would go there.

Seems I have created a bit of a mess. oh, the last one is my new great grand daughter and threw that in for sympathy. The one picture above with the wire tied around the water strainer, I can't figure out what that is- don't know if it was hooked up to anything. It has a connector on it that the other end the wire is pulled out of...looks like it went back towards the back of the motor, thought it might go to the trim pump. I don't see a bare wire anywhere that this would have pulled off of....how do I possible solve this mess?? 

Comments

• pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    it may not be much of any help now ... but having seen the sheer amount of desperate wiring that attaches to the 4 batteries on my 330 , I would never ever disconnect them all in one go without a whole bunch of labeling and a ton of photos of all the connections.
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I’ll take a look on mine this weekend maybe take a few pictures e
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think once I get the motor back in most of the mystery will come together....that one wire I have tied off on the water line is an odd one- it may not have been hooked up to anything....I'm pretty sure all the hot wires came off a the battery terminal other than the one that goes to the starter. I'll get the motor put back in am tomorrow and start looking at it. I think I had them laid out for re assembly but went to cleaning down there and moved things around. With one motor, two batteries at the time seemed real simple- did not count on being a year and a half later before I put it back together!

Thanks all,
    Ok- went to pick up the trailer...had a fuse blown so u haul would not give me the trailer...went to Wally world for fuses, fixed that and got the trailer home. So, next problem is getting 800 lbs of motor up the ramp of the trailer for transport to the marina. With a little physics and a come along, on the trailer- off to the marina am!
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    @rasbury your great grand daughter is a little cutie pie.... 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Yeah.....hey, the motor is in! Good days accomplishments. Took about 30 mins to drop it in. I think I have the wiring resolved for the most part and will post some pictures....really want to have it back together this weekend. How do I bleed the trim system? Also, two of the trim sensor wires go into the harness that runs along the transom, two go to the top of the motor...which are which sensor and I don't know for sure which wires go to which sensors!
    i was going to post a picture of the wiring but thought this will just get to confusing.....so to make things more simple, hopefully for me here is what I'm thinking. I did not pull any ground wires from the battery, only positive cables from the starter battery.

For the most part, anything that is positive goes to the one battery post that I can put wires back on. I have the geeny positive. I have a positive that goes to the starter, just one wire there correct? There are a total of three wires that goes up to the battery switch. One, on each battery . There is a third wire coming down from the battery switch that goes somewhere- either would have to go to the battery on that extra post or to the starter...I assume to the battery correct? So the main battery would have two wires going up into the battery switch if so...

I have a positive and negative bundle that would look like they would go to the trim pump.

I would assume all ground wires are going to go to the back side of the motor on the coupler housing....again, did not pull any ground wires off the batteries.

Trim sensor wires- have two that go to a harness that runs along the transom and two that plug in atop the motor. On a meter, how do I tell which wires go to which sensor? Which sensor goes to which plug ins??

The only real mystery wire I have, and it may not have been connected to anything, along the main harness running along side of the motor, there is one wire, only piece of wire in a loom coming off the main harness and it is spliced in with a crappy connector. On the other end, there is a connector and the wire has been pulled out of it. I don't see any single bare wire that this would have been pulled out of...no clue where that might have gone to....here is a pic of that wire: So, getting close to burning some gas here...would like to dunk it at the marina and spend the night next weekend if it's not to cole....might be in the 60's, brrrr~!
    edited November 2018
    Correction- from looking at how battery switches are wired, that third hot wire from the switch , or common hot wire, will go to the starter solenoid...the wire I thought went to the starter must go to the alternator...forgot about that little detail. So, I think I'm down to the above pictured wire...where the heck does it go?
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    Thanks Al....the mercathode block is is up around the thermostat on the other side of the motor....i will look around there and see if I see a stray wire...other than that, I think I've got it....bleeding the steering system looks to be a mess....one thing at a time! I'm on it this am trying to button this all up.
    Envious of clean engine bay
    Dang, if mine is clean....l dud clean it out but was disappointed it would not clean up better. @alswagg I have looked all around the mercathode block and don't see a pulled wire but will keep looking. A little disappointed in the marina - they put the back transom engine bolts in loose and I torqued them to spec. Before I did that, I tried to put the stringer bolts in, they said they were lined up, well one on each did is...they twisted/moved a little. I thought I could tap them into place...they ain't budging....i really did not just one to dive bolts to make new holes, plus on one side there is about a quarter of a hole....
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I think you need to get the engine weight off the mounts to get them lined up 
    edited November 2018
    Input a 4x4 across the beam with a come a long, done deal. I have to make some brackets for the trim pump, that bracket is rusted. Put the out drive on and a couple of other things- hope to fire it up tomorrow....did not resolve the one mystery wire however. Felt like I was powering up the enterprise- was nice to be able to turn on the radio and such!
    10 4 Al...same for the trim it sounds like. Looks like I'm finally wrapping this up, need to deal with the motor alignment which sounds like a pita.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Ras, you are doing great! Just take your time with that alignment, you will be glad you did!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Happy to say when I powered up the enterprise, nothing blew up so must have gotten the wiring right except for that one lone wire...just don't see anywhere yet where it went...will keep looking as I buttin things up...