Trailer for a 2003 Rinker 270 Fiesta Vee

ron1maron1ma Member Posts: 12

Hi All.  Brand new to this site..  Thank you for the add.

I am wondering if anyone out there has any insight on what size/model trailer would be good for my newly purchased used boat.  Right now I am having it hauled, but eventually would like to trailer it myself.

Answers

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, how do you have it hauled...and from where? Anyway,,,,any trailer place should be able provide a trailer for about any boat. I have a twin axle trailer , 10000 rated which is probably on the light side. You will gets tons of opinions, electric vs surge....duck!
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Cableguy Greg should chime in, he has a nice one. 
    Boat Name : 

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boat weighs 7250 dry so I would look for a trailer at #8500 GVW. Some of the guys say a steal trailer rides better then aluminum. Don't for get the 270 is 9`1` and technically needs a permit to haul. I have did it many times with no problem.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boat weighs 7250 dry so I would look for a trailer at #8500 GVW. Some of the guys say a steal trailer rides better then aluminum. Don't for get the 270 is 9`1` and technically needs a permit to haul. I have did it many times with no problem.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had an aluminum Venture trailer and a Trailmaster steel trailer under my 280EC. After towing my boat with both trailers, I prefer the steel Trailmaster trailer. The Venture trailer was fine, but it is a 'generic' boat trailer. The Trailmaster is a custom built trailer for your boat. If you go the Venture route, I had a VATB-8725 bunk trailer. When I ordered it, I added brakes to the second axle, which is required in PA, LED lights all around, target bunks in the front and a spare tire. The one thing that I should have ordered on the trailer was keel rollers. I assumed that the trailer would come with them, but I was wrong. If the trailer is set up correctly, it will work fine. I used it to tow my boat from Baltimore to Pittsburgh without any issues. After I sold it, I went with a Trailmaster. I got the channel model, model number T28100BBR. It is a heavier trailer than what I probably need, but I would rather have a higher rated trailer, than one that is rated for just the dry weight.

@tniggel has a 2007 270EC and also has a Trailmaster trailer. He has model number T2880BBR under his boat. When talking with him, he wished he would have gotten the heavier trailer.

All three will do the job under the 270. It is all in what you want to spend, and how much you are going to be trailering her.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    My 270 is on a Trailmaster triple axle. It's great except it floats at the ramp. Apparently, the wood bunks and the tires bring it to the surface .Makes for an interesting haul out. 
    My 270 is on a Trailmaster triple axle. It's great except it floats at the ramp. Apparently, the wood bunks and the tires bring it to the surface .Makes for an interesting haul out. 
    Mine doesn't float. Is yours a tube or channel trailer?
    Go Steelers!!!
  • ron1maron1ma Member Posts: 12
    Thank you all for the responses.  I will do some research on the recommendations you all have given me and will let you know what i ended up purchasing.
    I have plenty of truck to haul it so i may opt for the steel trailer.

Thanks...
    @ rasbury.  I have it hauled by a nearby marina with a hydraulic trailer that is pretty slick.
    They will put it back in the water for me this coming spring and then i want to trailer it out at the end of the season myself from there on.
  • johnepjohnep Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
    I just bought a Nextrail trailer made in Florida for my 2005 342.  They made it as I wanted with brakes on all three axles and rated for 18500lbs.  They delivered it to me in NH for just under 9 grand.  I did have to do some tuning to the bunks but it is a very solid trailer.  As with most things boating related....you need a bigger rig to tow it!  Best of luck and enjoy the new boat.
  • boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Our last boat had a custom made steel tri-axle trailer. Our new 2006 Crownline 250 has a 2016 Venture aluminum trailer. The Venture is very nice but it does 'bounce' more than our steel trailer did. Other than that it is fine. I'm happy with the Venture quality but Trailmaster makes a very nice trailer too.

EDIT: Meant to say Loadmaster, not Trailmaster. Not familiar with Trailmaster so not saying they are bad but the Loadmaster is very good.
    Post edited by boatman37 on
    Thank you everyone.   This is all awesome information.   Still considering steel rather than aluminum.   I have a 3500 silverado so definitely enough truck to pull it.
  • 04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    My 2004 270 has the “factory” dual axle trailer. Not sure if it’s a Loadmaster or a Trailmaster. I did upgrade the tires from 10 ply to 12 ply. It tows great on there behind my truck

My 2004 270 has the “factory” dual axle trailer. Not sure if it’s a Loadmaster or a Trailmaster. I did upgrade the tires from 10 ply to 12 ply. It tows great on there behind my truck

That looks like a Trailmaster. Check the VIN plate. If it is manufactured by J.Q. Tex, it's a Trailmaster.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • 69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    Wow.....I've never seen a boat trailer do that before. 
  • nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    I don't see any info on your location, but keep in mind that if you are in salt or brackish water do NOT get a steel trailer - aluminum or galvanized will last much longer.

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Riverrat - for sure that's a Trailmaster.

FWIW: I just traded our 08 Rinker in, it came new with a steel Trailmaster. Our new boat has an alum Venture Custom triple axle. Have to say - I prefer the Trailmaster. The aluminum looks cool.....but the T/M was set up far more properly for the boat.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a steel trailer on a smaller boat that I only put in fresh water...it really turned into a mess. My 270 trailer is aluminium and I feel a lot safer- my springs and such need attention, the steel parts, but the rest of it looks great. It is an I beam type design, twin axle.