Options

Time for a gauge replacement

midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
Hi guys!

Over the winter I plan on overhauling/upgrading a few things on my 2000 180 Bowrider.

Firstly, I need new gauges. Does anyone know what type of gauges Rinker used on my boat? I carefully labeled all the wires and uninstalled the factory gauges today. They have black faces with white print and have blue on them as well. The back of the gauges are a light mint green and there is no indication of who the manufacturer is.

What could I upgrade to that would be reliable, accurate, and possibly LED backlit?

I need speedo, tach, trim, fuel, volts, temp and oil pressure.

Attached is a pic of the gauges (sorry for quality)

Also, what would you recommend as a replacement for the three factory switches for bilge, Nav lights, and blower?

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your replies and advice! >:)

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    OK time to vent. Let me start off by saying I love my RINKER............. But why in the **** do they still use these crap gauges??? Why not just up grade them to something that works???? Just my 2 cents..
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Hi RY, No name on the back. Just a CE cert marking....

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd almost lay $$ odds in favor of Faria... It seems they have a solid bite into Rinker's contracts for OE equipment..

go to their page and look at their options.. you can even look up past models to verify.  If I wasn't doing something else right now I'd find a link for you... I may be able to come back in a while and post one.. I went to Faria's webpage, and searched around until I found link to past models, and matched the ones I had up with a model number, so i know it's possible.
  • Options
    They look like Faria gauges and have lasted a long time but they are not accurate anymore and I would like to change the look/functionality and upgrade. Are the wires pretty standard across all gauges?

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Lots of choices... Livorsi, AutoMeter, Faria, Hardin Marine, VDO Any pros/cons to the ones listed above?

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    The problem is this. The Faria gauges are a special size just for Rinker. No others will fit the hole unless you modify the dash. Real PITA...........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Thanks RB3... I guess I'll just have to buy some and make mods for them to work. I might just make a custom gauge panel myself if it won't work. RY - I won't know until I buy some new gauges...

• Options
    Hey Glass, do you have livorsi gauges on your Captiva?

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those look like Teleflex gauges. My 98 has similar ones that are Teleflex. I thought that the Faria ones were used after 2002ish.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They look like the Premier Pro Black ones. I could be wrong...

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/instrumentation/instrumentation/premier-pro-black/

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used the old trim rings and used black plasic cut to fit the OEM hole and then cut to fit the new gages when I put in the fuel flow monitor and twinscan tach.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Here is a long overdue pic of my new gauges, steering wheel, depth/fish finder and gauge panel repaint.

• Options

Thanks RY! Plan on color matching the panels to the steering wheel over the winter.

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RinkerYan said:

What is: Precision Star gauge?

http://precisionstar.ca

2008 330EC
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks really nice! 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

thanks guys! 

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can make filler discs from plastic to fit the new smaller guage in the larger hole. I even saved the trim rings when I installed flowscan and twinscan tachs.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    WCBoatManWCBoatMan Member Posts: 1
    You can make filler discs from plastic to fit the new smaller guage in the larger hole. I even saved the trim rings when I installed flowscan and twinscan tachs.
    Not a bad idea. Will keep that in mind when I'm installing the livorsi gauges I just got from WestCoastOffshore!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful work! did you post it in the forum's Rinker Custom Projects section?