“Cabin Lights” switch on helm

billy737billy737 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
What does the “Cabin Lights” switch on helm do.   I turn it on and nothing happens in the cabin.   So it might be a bad switch but if I knew what it was supposed to do it would help. 
2004 Rinker Fiesta Vee Conroe TX

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your 342 has rope lighting controlled by two switches - one at the helm, one at the breaker panel in the cabin.  The lights are not bright, so you might not notice them during the day.  
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    The "Cabin Light" switch at the helm on my 280 turns on the light for the steps into the cabin.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X2 on the most decorative mood lights
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • billy737billy737 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Ok thanks will check it out.  I know it didl turn the step lights on so must be the rope lights.  Thanks
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "Cabin Light" switch at the helm on my 280 turns on the light for the steps into the cabin.

That's exactly what mine did too.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

LaRea said:
    Your 342 has rope lighting controlled by two switches - one at the helm, one at the breaker panel in the cabin.  The lights are not bright, so you might not notice them during the day.  
    Thanks y’all for the help !  The switch is bad,  The one on the breaker panel works but outside does nothing .    And actually in one position it will not allow the lights to come on from the breaker panel switch,  so it must be bad.  

Thanks  
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're welcome!  It could be something simple like a loose connector on the back of the switch.  Those switches are pretty tough and don't fail often.  
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    On my 232, the cabin lights only work with the key on. All it is, is one light bulb up in the cuddy. Seems odd to be wired that way, but I always have plenty of lighting on the boat anyways, so I've never bothered to remedy it. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be wrong but I think most are wired through the accessory side of the ignition switch so you don't leave the boat and leave a light on and kill your batteries. For those of us that leave the house battery switch on for fridges etc.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    Willhound said:
    Could be wrong but I think most are wired through the accessory side of the ignition switch so you don't leave the boat and leave a light on and kill your batteries. For those of us that leave the house battery switch on for fridges etc.
    Well that’s interesting and will see if that changes things
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I ripped out all the rope light in the cabin since it was 12v incandescent and would just kill the batteries.  Replaced it with some nice LED strip lights that are much lower wattage and still make a nice light.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Did you get decent warm white? I’ve tried a few even labeled warm white and they are way too bright. Seems pointless to add a power sucking dimmer. 
    Post edited by Ian on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

@icoultha yes I found a nice warm white on Amazon.  

These are the ones I bought:  https://www.amazon.com/HitLights-3528-16-4-Lumens-Adapter-Included/dp/B005GL5UG2/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=hitlights+led&qid=1552475527&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Got some in blue for the cockpit too.

How did you find the brightness and color temperature compared to the incandescent string?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

@icoultha I find them a little brighter.  The color is very close IMO.  I don't use the cool white LEDs.  Too harsh on the eyes.  

I can't find a photo.  I thought at point I posted one.  

Yeah, not a fan of them either. For $8 it's worth trying it out.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    You could always add a controller if you wanted to dim them.  Or, you could use the WRBG ones and being able to have any color you wanted.  I have them on around the inside of my hardtop and it's nice being able to change color or even have off white or bright white and especially dimming them.  RF, not IR, controller is also much better as well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Yeah, this is to replace the incandescent string inside so don't want too bright - nor colored. I've been through the disco era, don't need it on my boat :)

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    icoultha said:
    Yeah, this is to replace the incandescent string inside so don't want too bright - nor colored. I've been through the disco era, don't need it on my boat :)

I agree, but the RGBW set with a controller will give you the option to dim and change to different off-whites/warm-whites.  It gives you that option to create that exact warm color you'd like.  Just throwing it out there. :)  This is something I've been considering changing as well for the cabin.  I do have the RGBW around the hardtop (you don't know they are there unless you turn them on) and having the option to customize exactly what type of light you want is very nice.  I also find, right now with the winter cover on, I can use the white, turn it up bright, and it gets rid of the blueish color of the sunlight coming thru my navy cover.  & up bright, it is the only light needed in there.  Let us know what you decide and would love to see some pics of it when you are done.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Thanks @Dream_Inn I may have a play with the RGBW after all. Never know, it may take me back to the DJ/sound and light desk days......

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”