Broke a leaf spring

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
Pulled the boat back to storage and the tires just did not look right  - the front wheel looks like it is at an angle to the road. So I look up underneath on the other side and see the top leaf broke from under Neath the axle....what measurements to get a replacement?

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats next Ras?? Were those Ford Springs? LOL
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure they say Dodge ram on them!
    So, @212rowboat.  I recall your the trailer expert...I have never replaced a leaf before....how do I measure for the right spring....walk me through this? I have been working on the trailer jacking up the axles...hope I have not bent anything...
    Ras, what kind of axle?? Lippert? Dexter?? Need weight rating. Trailerparts.com or Etrailer.com
    Well..so far I'm just trying to figure out how to jack up the trailer! I have been on e trailer and get the ramp ratings of the axles....is the measurement hole to hole I assume? I'd think a symetrical spring...if I can get it back to the ramp I will put the boat at a slip which should make life easier.... 
  • jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Had a spring break several years ago on vacation which caused the axle to shift. I used a ratchet strap to winch the axle back into posistion, then several srtaps around the axle to points front and rear to hold it in posistion. Certainly not D.O.T. approved, but it held for 250 miles until I got back home. Something like this may work to help you make it to the ramp.

It worked for me, but back then I used to drink alot!!!
    I did think about that...if the place I store it does not mind me working on it there then I'd rather not risk it. I can bring my generator and my grinder if I need to get tuff with it.
    So, have not ordered my spring yet....looking at the set up for the springs, the hangers etc.......I don't see that there is any adjustment for the axle position? I assume the plate locks onto that spring a certain way, what other adjustment would there be?? Forgot to measure my axles for the new U bolts....axle is square and e trailers only goes up to 2 1/2" and I know there are bigger than than!
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I have a triple axle trailer, but just two axles are more than enough for the 280EC, even with fuel. So if I lose a tire/hub my plan is to swap around until just the middle axle is bare, then ratchet it up out of the way and keep on going. I carry an IR thermometer and towing 10k lbs @ 65 MPH for 3+ hours on a 97° day resulted in 100° hubs and 115-120° tires, all around, on three axles. I'm sure reducing that to two would still be well within specs.
    I think so if everything is in good shape...what's the weight of a 280? Another thing I'm seeing is even though my trailer is rated for 10000 lbs, the only springs available that are the same leaf and size are for 6000# axles...now I don't know what exactly the axle and spindles are rated for, but, I assume there are not a lot of variable parts and they just charge more for a higher rated trailer?
    Ras, do you have a 3 axle or 2??
    edited March 2019
    It's 2..rectangular axle, 2" x 4? U bolts are 5 3/4 inside to the bottom of the thread so maybe 2x5? Once the plate is underneath the axle the boot is flush to the nut...all the hardware looks good, springs are badly rusted and I did hit a curb pretty good...
    Get it rebuilt at a trailer shop. They can lift the boat up and fit the boat to the trailer. Use stainless hardware
  • jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Trailers should be rated by the weight capacity of the axle's. My trailer is a Venture with a pair of 5,000 axles, which is why it is rated for 10,000. It was overkill for my FV242, but I bought it new, and was planning to have enough weight rating for the next boat, which I hoped to be a 270.
    So, got the one spring done today...took some clever use of Jacks and Jack stands but not to bad...sure pulled better!  Have the other side to do and the other axle...