EVC The "NEUTRAL" Button

MissLee2005MissLee2005 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
Ok folks, my new Rinker 270 FV w Volvo D4 diesel is awesome, however I have noticed that the throttle is quite notchy around the centre...its a 2005 model with something called "EVC" does this mean it has a 'slow mode' built into its throttle profile?......basically the idle speed seems to high for mooring up ....appreciate some advice before I line the pockets of the local engineer!!

Comments

• DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Mine is the D5, so it shouldn't be too different. I use the EVC to put the transmission into neutral, so I can throttle the engines and not engage the drives.  You have a "fly by wire" system, with no "hard" connection between you throttle and your engines/drives  So any notchy-ness could be a software issue.    I'd start there. 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the throttle still feel the same with no power and everything off?
    2008 330EC
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    On the Mercury DTS (similar idea) you can adjust the mechanical dentents felt through the shift handle. Make the shifting easier or stiffer. Set to your preference.
    If it is an engine setting speed issue - I’d take a look at the manual avail for the EVC system
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • NickWightNickWight Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    We have a 2008 Rinker 280ec with a VP D4 260 & DPH drive and we have a hybrid EVC system. We do not have "slow mode" and our throttle and shift controls are not "fly by wire". The shift system does not have the electric actuator instead the cable operates directly onto the drive and the throttle cable connects to a metal plate in the engine bay, onto which a Bosch electronic throttle position sensor is fitted. This all results in a very stiff and notchy feel to the operation of the Xact throttle/shift control, especially around neutral. By playing around with the cable, linkage and Bosch sensor on the adaptor plate I was able to get the idle speed down from 900rpm to 700rpm and that helped low speed operation a little. 

Perhaps you have a similar set-up???
  • MissLee2005MissLee2005 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    NickWight said:
    We have a 2008 Rinker 280ec with a VP D4 260 & DPH drive and we have a hybrid EVC system. We do not have "slow mode" and our throttle and shift controls are not "fly by wire". The shift system does not have the electric actuator instead the cable operates directly onto the drive and the throttle cable connects to a metal plate in the engine bay, onto which a Bosch electronic throttle position sensor is fitted. This all results in a very stiff and notchy feel to the operation of the Xact throttle/shift control, especially around neutral. By playing around with the cable, linkage and Bosch sensor on the adaptor plate I was able to get the idle speed down from 900rpm to 700rpm and that helped low speed operation a little. 

Perhaps you have a similar set-up???
    Nick, this sounds like the issue, because its quite notch you have to use more force...which means it finally pops in/out of idle from neutral it seems to be more exaggerated rather than a gentle engage/disengage.

I may try using the N button on the EVC as this may be a simpler solution, thanks for your help, all the best

• MissLee2005MissLee2005 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    Mine is the D5, so it shouldn't be too different. I use the EVC to put the transmission into neutral, so I can throttle the engines and not engage the drives.  You have a "fly by wire" system, with no "hard" connection between you throttle and your engines/drives  So any notchy-ness could be a software issue.    I'd start there. 
    Thanks mate, I have no idea how to update the software...one for the engineer ! all the best
  • NickWightNickWight Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    MissLee2005: Just to complete the picture from our experiences -- we've had the DPH drive removed and fully checked and serviced and both cables replaced (£2500 worth of work) and still the problem is there. It could now be that our Xact throttle/shift control is the cause and so the next step will be to replace that.

We are generally very pleased with the D4 engine -- but -- regular, routine servicing is even more important than on other engines and we now know that ours suffered badly before we had it from excess water getting into the engine bay -- so keep your bilges dry!!!!!

Nick.
  • DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Had no idea there was such a big difference between the D4 and the D5,  sorry if any misinformation was passed along. I was relating information from my set up.
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Long story short here is when you have manual cable to shift it becomes a big pita with time.
    Specially when docking.

stern drives with electronic shift are amazing and act like inboards.