Slave solenoid???

planesailingplanesailing Member Posts: 173 ✭✭
I have recently changed my boat and new one has a Volvo penta 5.7GS motor in it. The past few months it's been having an intermittent starting issue where sometimes when I turn the key I just get a click. After a few attempts it fires right up. Sometimes it will just start first turn. I had a similar problem on my old boat that was fitted with a mercruiser 5.7EFI. I changed the slave solenoid on that and all was good. I am just wondering weather Volvo use slave solenoids and if so where would it be located on my motor? Can't fine any reference to them online. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer me!

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m not sure how Volvo’s are set up, on mercruisers there’s a shift interrupt switch that can come out of adjustment and cause the same issue.
    2008 330EC
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, now that I think about it, if the shift interrupt switch is out of adjustment I think the engine will turn over.
    2008 330EC
  • NickWightNickWight Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Not sure if your engine will have a similar set-up to or Volvo D4, but the "solenoid" (actually a relay on ours as the starter motor is an inertia type) is mounted directly on top of the starter motor. We had a similar problem last year -- sometimes it would start & sometimes it would not -- and replacing the relay (£350) sorted it.
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Actually, now that I think about it, if the shift interrupt switch is out of adjustment I think the engine will turn over.
    On mine (mercs) no clickety click either, if not in neutral properly, no life at all back down there. Had the issue last year where the console handles needed rattling to make the switch on the stbd unit. Found  internal sticking of the lever due to needed lubrication and springs not pulling back properly home.

His sounds more like the solenoid/relay is firing but no power to starter.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also had a similar sounding problem when I first got my boat (merc 350 mpi) and thought as first was the battery....then when I checked the starter ( and could not tell you how I did it ) and found it was not getting consistent power by what ever checking I did with the meter....the starter and gotten wet and I had it rebuilt for 135 bucks and has been good- until recently. That dang thing is right on the bottom of the motor and for those that read my woes, had a leak through the transom plate and I'm afraid it got wet again.....
  • planesailingplanesailing Member Posts: 173 ✭✭
    The fault seems identical to the one I had on my old mercruiser which was fixed easily by replacing the slave solenoid on top of the engine. It doesn't appear that Volvo use slave solenoids so was wondering what they use instead and where it would be located??