GEL Coat Restore

tazataza Member Posts: 64 ✭✭

Guys

any advice on the best way to restore the Gel Coat,give it a polish looks better but within a week or so back to normal

Best Answer

Answers

• McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you need a good cutting agent to remove the oxidation. I know a lot of people swear by buff magic and 3M. Ive seen great results with both, you also can look into wet sanding. 
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Wet sand wash compound wash then polish one more wash then wax 2 long days 
  • walleyrwalleyr Member Posts: 34
    The Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Cleaner Wax is a good product. It removes oxidation and polishes the surface to a high gloss finish.

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I had the same issue with my 2006 black rinker. Polish looked good for a week max. I decided to do the PoliGlow system and love it, on my 3rd season now with it. Follow the instructions and it will look great. Other options are a vinyl wrap or having it painted. $70 for the PoliGlow kit is the lowest cost option. There is a great thread on here on several successes with Poliglow:

https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/3437/poli-glow/p1
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• rmfridayrmfriday Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    I used costacoat, very similar to PoliGlow. It is easy and holds up fairly well, after two years i used floor wax stripperd re applied costacoat.
    I did the wet sand with 1000 then 1500 then buff then wax but it would only last a couple of months and look chalky again.
    the costacoat/poliglow options are not perfect but my boat looks better and it is not a lot of effort. 
  • CarsnmorellcCarsnmorellc Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    600 grit all the way to 2000 grit with DA and water
    Heavy Marine Compound With Rotary and Wool Pad
    Marine Polish With Rotary and Foam Pad
    Gtechniq Ceramic Coating C1
    Gtechniq Ceramic Coating C0 Topper

You'll thank me later
    2001 340 Fiesta Vee 20P Hill Marine and 2 new 6.2 Horizon motors. Whine Down