Recommendations for towing at capacity limit

Hello All ! looking to buy a 262 Rinker Captiva bowlder and wanted to ask about the towing. boat is rated at 5800 lbs sitting on an aluminum trailer and my 2015 Grand Cherokee Overland is rated at 7300 lbs. see any issues as im right at the limit? I really like the boat and dont want to lose it because of towing capacity. 

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you'll be over 7300 including boat, trailer and gear. Not a good setup for regular towing, but you'd be able to get her a few miles at your own risk....
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    We had a 246 Captiva and started out towing with a Tahoe. I didn't feel that afforded an acceptable safety margin and got a Silverado 2500 HD 3/4 ton pick up. Much better tow vehicle, and in case of an accident, insurance company would have a much better disposition of the case.
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you'll be driving a lot slower than normal.  Here's a lesson I learned the hard way:  be selfish for once.  The people behind you might have to wait an extra 20 seconds to get their Starbucks latte ... tough luck for them.  If you speed up to make them happy, you'll put yourself and others at risk.  I learned that lesson while towing a nice '72 Buick GS, and it didn't end well for the GS.  
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like your at the limit but would say thats what limits are for. Does the trailer have good breaks? Keep in mind your tounge weight into your calculations...if you have good breaks on the trailer(and you should anyway!) And your not pulling over pikes peak I don't see a big problem....what motor is in your vehicle? Your tow rating is your rear end ratio and the motor and your axle weight rating. Look at your gross combined weight rating for truck and trailer and see where your at. How far will you trailer?
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    All good points above. Functioning trailer brakes are key. Should be fine for small jaunts. Careful backing down the ramp ~ go slow or you might be Overland Underwater.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
    I have a 270...i got to be close to 10000 lbs and I pull out of the ramp with a 4x2 F150 with the 5.4L motor. It walks it right out and mouths drop every time...it's a pretty steep ramp also. I would not go out of state with it however but I'd haul it anywhere in FL and have! Do I run 80 down the highway? No, and would not no matter what I had to tow with and don't think anyone is safe doing that unless you have air brakes and know you can stop....heck, tractor trailers can't either!
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    So true story: I tow a 280EC with a E350. Weight on the boat, plus trailer, published, is around 8200#. I drug it over a CAT Scale, total trailer axle weight: 10700. There was about 1000# extra on the rear axle too!

I've never had a problem towing it, but I have a 6.8L V-10, oversized brakes, and the trailer is very well serviced. Leave plenty of room, drive the speed limit (or slower when safety dictates), and stop and check your rig frequently.
    Those old E350 are work horses if that's a good motor and a lot of torque.
  • boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
    Towed my boat back from the canvas shop today 90 miles away. Dry weight on the boat is listed at 6700lbs and the trailer weighs about 1300lbs. There wasn't much in it fuel/water or gear wise so guessing about 9000lbs total. Towed it with my 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi. 6 spd auto w/ 3.55's. Pulled over at a rest stop and the state police were there with scales. I was checking everything and the trooper asked me if I needed help. Told him I was just checking everything and that I would like to weigh mine but don't want to bother them. He said 'aw you aren't that heavy'. I told him I'm over 8000. He said well that trailer holds it well cause that 1/2 is barely squatting. Then I left...lol

Anyway, my truck tows this just fine. No problems at all. But I am cautious and careful and leave plenty of stopping distance. trailer is a brand new Venture tandem axle.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What were the police checking??
  • McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    I have an Overland as well, never towed with it but am curious how the air suspension will react with towing that much weight. 
  • xalaposxalapos Member Posts: 3
    All valid point and I appreciate all the help! Seems like there is risk with safety, which i will not compromise a bit. Even though i love the rinker I found, i will have to part ways and go with a little smaller boat. All good, better safe than sorry! 

Thanks again!!!! 
  • boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
    @Handy....I assume just commercial vehicles. In the 15 minutes or so I was there I never saw them get the scales out of the van. They use portable scales