Options

Change cool fuel filters now or in water?

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
Part of my maintenance plan this year is to change my fuel filters. I have the gen 3 cool fuel modules. I did not fog or do the winterizing cocktail on my engines. It's been 3 seasons since they were changed. 

I was going to change the filters once I got the boat in the dock in the water, but now thinking I should just do them on the hard this weekend so its done. Boat goes in, in 2 weeks. Any reason that its better to do it now, or wait until the boat is floating?
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if you do them now, you won't be risking any issues or contamination when you fire up the first time to get her in the slip. And if you do spill any fuel, better to clean it up on the hard, than in the water.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    And if something breaks, you'll have two weeks to get parts.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    No reason to wait, if you can do it now, more time for boating! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I change mine in the water after I have made a few runs so I burn off as much old fuel as possible.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree only benefit would catching the water on start up after winter. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Thanks gang, wasn't sure if I needed to worry about air gaps or anything. Ordered two filter kits and plan to change them on the hard this weekend so its done. A mechanic did them for me in spring 16' so this will be the first time I've had them open. Found this pretty good how to on the SR site. 

http://www.clubsearay.com/index.php?threads/how-to-change-the-fuel-filter-on-a-gen-3-cool-fuel-unit-compete-with-pictures.27133/

• Options
    one more question -  do you re fill the bowl with fresh fuel, or put it back together empty and let the fuel pump re fill?

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    one more question -  do you re fill the bowl with fresh fuel, or put it back together empty and let the fuel pump re fill?

it will pump it back in there.  No need to add any fuel.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I close the ball from the tank and run the motors for a couple before I open them up. Change filters close them up open the ball valve and turn the key wait and fire up. 10mm socket with a swivle for the back bolt under the alternator. I think I'm  going to change my after my shakedown cruise(54 miles).
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Filter change went well. A little dirty but could be a lot worse after 3 seasons. Pulling the plug on the fuel module and cranking the engines for 5 seconds released the pressure nicely. Did have a little water in each separator but that’s the idea.