Options

Welp, finally picking her up this weekend!

Hi everyone, wanted to drop in and introduce myself. I'm the proud new owner of a 2001 270!

The boat is solid, needs a little love here and there but I'm looking forward to the project. It has a new 383 stroker with under 40 hours on it, and the transom assembly is being replaced with a new one as we speak. Props are in good shape. Electrical probably needs to be severely overhauled.

This will be my first boat ever, so I'm just starting on the learning curve, but I'm coming up to speed quickly I think, just gotta get some water time. 

Anyhow, looking forward to figuring out how do do just about everything from scratch, see y'all around. 

P.s. Had a great first experience in the boat, started sinking on my maiden voyage two weeks ago. Exhaust pipe and transom assembly both popped holes... made it a whole 30 feet from the doc before coming back in. 
2001 270 "Salty Disposition"

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the new ownership and welcome to the forum, lots of help available here.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome @LaxBouncer. You've come to the right place. Lot's of 270 owners on here too, so lot's of help. To choose what may be a bit of a "project" boat for a first boat takes some cojone's. Hopefully you're a handy guy, or have a deep wallet, or both. On a positive note, those era 270's are built like tanks, so if the mechanical's are good and you get the wiring straightened out you'll have an excellent vessel.
    Was there a hull survey done?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the boat! 

Being it's your first, please consider taking a boater safety class from the Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary or anybody else who offers them locally.  It's kinda scary how many people operate a boat without any kind of training.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, I have an 03' 270.  Let me know if I can answer any questions.
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    LaxBouncerLaxBouncer Member Posts: 18
    Stodge said:
    Congrats on the boat! 

Being it's your first, please consider taking a boater safety class from the Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary or anybody else who offers them locally.  It's kinda scary how many people operate a boat without any kind of training.
    I certainly will, also going to have the aux do a safety check on it. 

Willhound said:
    Welcome @LaxBouncer. You've come to the right place. Lot's of 270 owners on here too, so lot's of help. To choose what may be a bit of a "project" boat for a first boat takes some cojone's. Hopefully you're a handy guy, or have a deep wallet, or both. On a positive note, those era 270's are built like tanks, so if the mechanical's are good and you get the wiring straightened out you'll have an excellent vessel.
    Was there a hull survey done?
    There wasn't a survey done, I bought it from a friend I work with. I did have the mechanic check it out when he was diagnosing the leak, he's been working on this boat for years and felt comfortable. I'm sure I'll learn pretty quickly either way. I am handy when it comes to houses and cars, hopefully that will translate to the boat too!

Thanks all for the welcome, I'll try to post pictures later today after work.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Welcome to the forum!  The 270 is really a great boat!  There's so much here that you can soak up and learn.  Feel free to ask any questions as you go long.  No questions are dumb here. :)  Sounds like you'll have a good boat when you have it ready to drop in soon!

Safety check and USCGA course will have you light years ahead of most new boaters starting out.   That is great!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    I'll add my welcome ... to one of the best boating resources on the interwebs.  For a first-time owner, it seems like you're asking and doing all the right things.  Welcome to the family!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! Congratulations on your new boat  B)
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome 270 brother!  No better help will you find them here...bring it on!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Welcome to the RBOC and good luck with your new float

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, enjoy.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrat's on your new 270, fine boat, they all need some love from time to time. New engine, and transom assly, is a great plus.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    We're newbie owners of a 310 coming from a 24 footer so I'll be sure to check in with you in a few years when we both get "2-foot-itis" and you'll want to upgrade to our 310 and my admiral wants a 370 ;-)

Good luck with your new ride!
  • Options
    Pics are required!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    TonyG13 said:
    We're newbie owners of a 310 coming from a 24 footer so I'll be sure to check in with you in a few years when we both get "2-foot-itis" and you'll want to upgrade to our 310 and my admiral wants a 370 ;-)

Good luck with your new ride!

We also started with a 24, then hit the 310.  Beware, if you travel the same path, it could be 400 in your future (not the 370) :)

I agree, I want to see some pictures Lax!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Here's some shots, I didn't want to include the transom because I haven't changed the name yet and don't want to step on the previous owners toes.

Needs a good detail, all of the seams/gasketing looks like it needs to be stripped cleaned and resealed, stereo doesn't work, and then it's on to making it my own! 

I'm the absolute worst at photos, especially of boats, so sorry for the crappy pics. 

• Options
    Looks great!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaxBouncer from the pics she looks pretty good. My 2000 is identical except for the design of the upholstery in the cabin and I have the radar arch. And of course your 383 stroker.
    There are a few others with 2000 and  2001 models on here also so if you have any questions at all the odds are pretty good that one if us has seen it before.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    good luck with it 
  • Options
    Looks good! I like the fabric on your interior much better than mine...mine is an 06- perhaps yours was redone but at least in the pictures is all looks pretty good....and the way it's being launched I assume it was kept in covered dry storage so your luck there....get her in the water and make some waves!
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hate the shaggy carpet I've got, love the carpet you've got. First thing I fix after moving south. 
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    No bottom paint was either fresh water or rack stored ???
  • Options
    GMSLITHO said:
    No bottom paint was either fresh water or rack stored ???
    Previous owner had a dry dock, the marina I keep it at has it on a rack (not covered sadly, all those were occupied). To my knowledge has always been saltwater.
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Looks good! I like the fabric on your interior much better than mine...mine is an 06- perhaps yours was redone but at least in the pictures is all looks pretty good....and the way it's being launched I assume it was kept in covered dry storage so your luck there....get her in the water and make some waves!
    @rasbury I have the same fabric in my 2001 242. It was a stock fabric, I think Great Lakes skipper has the fabric also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!  I have the same boat on lake Michigan. Added the 383 2 yrs ago.  Easy updates are Stainless steel cut holders, 2nd hiuse battery, Vessel View to phone or tablet, LED lights, etc. Shout w questions, tons of knowledge on this forum, i am grateful for the time money and stress this forum has saved me. Be safe!
  • Options
    walleyrwalleyr Member Posts: 34
    That's a clean looking boat. Congrats and enjoy!
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    wow that deck area looks really cramped between the bench seat and the garbage can area.  Glad they redesigned that in 2002.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3