Mid bilge water

2002 Rinker 342. I keep getting, what I feel is a significant amount, of water in my mid bilge. I have checked the shower sump, behind the shower cuddy thing, toilet, all the ac lines, anchor locker etc.  I finally pulled the covers to the fresh water and holding tank. I don’t believe it is a fresh water leak and don’t see one anywhere. Pump doesn’t ever randomly run to pressurize and this amount of water would cause it to run at least a few times a day to pressurize.

It probably pumps about 3 gallons or so a day I’d say but that’s just a guess. 

However, now comes the scary part. On the black water side, I notice through the tiny hole, which they make difficult to see, what appears to be a leak of some sort running very slowly but the only place I see water.  I don’t know how to check the tank or see if it’s coming from somewhere else and just under the tank.

I guess the the real question is, if the black water is leaking, would it go to mid bilge or rear engine bilge? The water in the mid bilge seems nasty but not black water tank nasty.

Any my help is appreciated.  

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    If your holding tank was leaking, it would stink so bad you'd know it immediately.  Plus, at 3 gallons a day, you could watch the tank level go down. 

Check the air conditioner.  Maybe a leak from the pump or supply line, or just condensed water from the evaporator.  

Is it a steady amount regardless of rain?  That would rule out a leaky rub rail.

Next time you leave the boat for a few days, mark the level of the water tank before you leave.  If it doesn't change, that rules out a fresh water leak.  
  • brandonmayberrybrandonmayberry Member Posts: 226 ✭✭
    Boats in a covered slip and the amount seems pretty steady. I’ve checked the ac pump, strainer and all lines. No water anywhere it seems. Directly under the black water is the only water I see. 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Can you see all of your through hull fittings? Check and see if they’re dry.
    2008 330EC
    Not there. No sure what thru hull fitting would be under the waste tank 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like you've checked all of the usual suspects.  

Turn off the fresh water pump and AC.  Get a wet-dry vac, remove all water from the mid-bilge, wipe dry with towels.  Turn pumps back on one at a time and see if you're getting water.  

Empty the holding tank, don't use it for a week and see if the leak stops.  
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a lot of water per day. Did you check the raw water line in and out of the AC unit itself?  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    edited May 2019
    That is a lot of water per day. Did you check the raw water line in and out of the AC unit itself?  
    I’ve checked all of that the best I can see. There no signs of any water coming from anywhere in the boat except directly under the waste tank where I can see what’s below or behind it. 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no clue about a 342...sure your not leaking thru the transom? Drain plug? 3 gallons is a lot..what is the history of this? Just launched? I've dealt with waste leak...but even regular water in the bielge gets stanky and smelly....one thing I have figured out is for something that floats, there sure are a lot of places to make it sink! You might want to back up that bielge pump somehow..that's a lot of water. When I had that kind of problem my transom seal was leaking...
    rasbury said:
    I have no clue about a 342...sure your not leaking thru the transom? Drain plug? 3 gallons is a lot..what is the history of this? Just launched? I've dealt with waste leak...but even regular water in the bielge gets stanky and smelly....one thing I have figured out is for something that floats, there sure are a lot of places to make it sink! You might want to back up that bielge pump somehow..that's a lot of water. When I had that kind of problem my transom seal was leaking...
    It’s in mid bilge not rear. They are separate. I’m having the boat pulled soon to change bellows and check out drives etc just for maintenance, but it wouldn’t cause water in the mid. 
    Pull your frig in the cabin. You can see a lot of the AC water line, drains from sinks, etc. 

boat under cover would/should eliminate water from rain. The engine area bilge is separate from the mid berth bilge. 

You should be able to see from what direction the water is entering the mid bilge. There are drain holes in the stringers to let the water in there from the sides. Have you checked the condensate pan/drain/tube from the AC?  If plugged or leaking it will drain to the mid bilge. 

You can try shutting off the AC for a few days and see if the water stops filling. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Ac drain is clear and working. I pulled the drawer by the fridge and saw no leaks or any signs of water ever having gone through there. It’s  hard to tell what side the water is coming through on the stringers with the holes. 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So your tanks are mid bielge...hmmm...would have to be a thru Hull I'd think...2002 boat if they have not been re sealed that sure sounds like a place to start..you have elimated above the water line issues.
    Good luck, will be curious to hear the out come. 
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe you can take out the side of the compartment in the mid berth behind the mirror then maybe you can see the waste tank??
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    I believe you can take out the side of the compartment in the mid berth behind the mirror then maybe you can see the waste tank??
    I’ve done that. That is where I noticed the water coming in at. It appears under the tank but I can’t see far enough under it. 
    https://youtu.be/W_q8jW_EdZ0
    May this can shed some light on whats back there.

There no thru hulls in that area.
    I’d get a pump out. Drain the fresh water too. Then see if it stops. Then fill each one at a time and watch. 

Also: are you connected to city water?

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    I’d get a pump out. Drain the fresh water too. Then see if it stops. Then fill each one at a time and watch. 

Also: are you connected to city water?
    Not connected to city water
    Pull the vent/filter for the AC (bottom of V-berth under drawers) and see if there is water coming from the bow. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Pull the vent/filter for the AC (bottom of V-berth under drawers) and see if there is water coming from the bow. 
    Did that and saw no signs of any water coming from the bow. 
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    hole or crack in the hull?
    zaverin1 said:
    hole or crack in the hull?
    Not that I can see and not sure how to check really. Boats being pulled in a few weeks. Can they see that from the outside?
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭