Lake Michigan water level

Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
From our low water a few years ago, the lake is up well over 4’!  We have docks now under water. Slips with 3+ steps to get on boats. My swim platform is almost even to the dock: 1st time ever. 

Here is a pic of the water height:

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI

Comments

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Same on this side of the mitten.  The folks who live on the St. Clair River are getting their yards flooded every time a freighter goes by.  We have some marinas with docks under water.  I have about 15 inches between the water and the top of the seawall.  Some folks on our canal have lower seawalls and have started sandbagging already.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm so glad our marina has floating docks.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im in the ocean it go up 4' every 6 to 8 hours but goes back down twice a day. A little salty though.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lake Michigan: Shark free and no salt added. 😆

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    shawnmjr said:
    @Stodge I heard Gull island is completely under water or was? Is this true? 
    No it's not under water.  The beach along the South Channel is pretty much gone.  The only area you can really go ashore is on the West side by the vollyball court.  The rest is overgrown.

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just think how easy it it to get on the boat now!
    edited May 2019
    Just think how easy it it to get on the boat now!
    I have friends at an area marina with fixed height docks that have made steps 4 cinder blocks tall to reach the gunwale of their boat.

• TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    This is just a sample picture, but from what our harbor master told us is that Diversey Harbor, north of us and requiring a transit under a fixed bridge - Lake Shore Drive - is relocating boats to other harbors since the water level is almost to sidewalk level and boats cannot get in -- and those that did get in early season, some can't get back out...

• 69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    This is happening everywhere. Our lakes are 15'+ high and the boat ramps are no longer even visible, so most of them are closed. 
  • 69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    Just announced this morning that all boat ramps at our local lake are now closed. Glad I spent all that money getting my boat ready to go for the summer. I guess I can go sit in it and listen to the radio. 
  • McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Not used to reading about flooding on the big lake, the chain as usual has been dealing with flooding all spring but I think they finally just opened up this week. Probably will be closed next week though 
  • rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Pictures from last week, 150+ boats can't get into the harbor. Some boats can't get out as the water level has increased by 1.5 feet since late April.  It's an incredible scene.  
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, sorry for all you folks....and  sure there are stories much worse than boat issues....what a terrible situation...
    A marina near me has water over the seawall.  I measured this weekend and the water is 12 inches below the top of my seawall.  

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy amount of snow and rain ... crazy lake levels.  Lake Ontario is insane ... most boat ramps are still shut down. Half the summer will be gone before casual boaters can get their boats in the water.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am glad that we have floating docks at our marina. The river can come up 5 feet before there is a problem getting to the boat. Even then, I just have to walk to a different ramp to get onto the docks.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The parking lot drains at my marina now have water flowing back up them. lol. Swimming pools in the parking lot. The water at the old launch ramp is now at the top and flowing out too.  I do love the even step from the dock onto the swim platform!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
    We have floating docks but the problem we run into is debris building against the docks. The forecast looks like rain the next 10 days. We'll see how bad it gets but we are prepared to pull the boat if we need to. Currently our river is at normal height but the current was up a little today. We have only been out 2 days this year because of weather
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is turning into a real wet season for Florida- June first the water turns on like someone flips a spigot on. We do need the rain...not sure what % of our water for the year from this time if the year is but it's big! August comes and someone turns it off... except for hurricane or tropical depressions...then bets are off!
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

All that Lake Michigan water is working it's way to us, wreaking havoc in the St. Lawrence River too.  We're 4 1/2 ft. higher than when I pulled the boat last October.  We have floating docks too, but the water is still over the land they are attached to.  Here's what the marina put in for me top get to my boat.  

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That works, walk the plank mate.
    Boat Name :