Courtesy lightning

cls10105cls10105 Member Posts: 352 ✭✭
Does anyone know how many courtesy lights they are in a 2002 342. The lights closest to the floor..thanks
cruising on 6. tw0s

Comments

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    8 in the head liner
    2 in the bathroom
    2 in the arch
    3 in the cockpit
    1 on the transom 
    1 on top of the arch for anchoring 
    Is this a trick question are you watching me walk around and count the lights.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • cls10105cls10105 Member Posts: 352 ✭✭
    @reneechris14..lol just the cockpit.. i thought more than 3...ty sir ordering blue led bulbs wasn't sure how many 
    cruising on 6. tw0s
    I would get 4 put one buy the sub/ captains seat.
    Good idea...thanks again man
    cruising on 6. tw0s
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My cockpit has 3
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

@reneechris14 i ended up getting 2 extra lights. What is the best way to cut into the fiberglass without damaging and to keep up with the wires for the lights.
    cruising on 6. tw0s
    I would tape the area then drill. It like a 1/2 hole so should go easy. The wires run from light to light so i would crimp off of one light to run back to new light. Thats how i did my cup holds.
    Positive and negitive are sensitive on LEDS 
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    There is a light in the cabin that comes on with the cockpit lights in the cockpit.  So there are 4.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

@reneechris14 are the lights in the pic your cup holders. They look nice
    cruising on 6. tw0s
    And this is probably a stupid question but what gauge wire should i get. I was thinking about just cutting in to the original wire and adding my 2 lights but i may need to do what you said 
    cruising on 6. tw0s
    I added LED strip light up under the ledge of the wet bar in the cockpit.  I tied it into the light near the cockpit fridge.  I want to say I used #18.  It's pretty low current being LED.

@Stodge, thanks man 
    cruising on 6. tw0s
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For LED ... low amps man ... I'd say 18 gauge should work and 14 gauge is definitely overkill in my opinion.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Yes you can see the cockpit light by the icemaker 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MarkB is right - 18 AWG wire is what I used, and it worked fine ... nice and even lighting.  Consider soldering the connections instead of using crimp connectors.  The leads on the lights are probably 20 or even 22, which is hard to work with.  Crimps on small-gauge wire might not last as long.

And if you don't have a good wire stripper, this job might be your excuse to buy one.  
    I am putting the lights tomorrow and working on that stinking ice maker again. If goes well I NEED the SS cup holders. And a full tank gas...lol
    cruising on 6. tw0s
    I ended up putting 2 up by the capt seat. What do you guys think..too much.
    cruising on 6. tw0s
    edited June 2019
    Well it seems it must be a hit with all these positive comments...well thats great i wasn't sure about the one by the speaker but you guys have spoken and i agree. Thanks
    cruising on 6. tw0s
    I like the one down low. The one by the speaker aahh.
    Yeah. I think i goofed on that one...dangit, fill it in with toothpaste. Or just live with it. stinking beer making decisions for me oh that will look good all that blue
    cruising on 6. tw0s
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    IMO I would think that the one near the speaker would cause glare at night and could be distracting. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    @MarkB is right - 18 AWG wire is what I used, and it worked fine ... nice and even lighting.  Consider soldering the connections instead of using crimp connectors.  The leads on the lights are probably 20 or even 22, which is hard to work with.  Crimps on small-gauge wire might not last as long.

And if you don't have a good wire stripper, this job might be your excuse to buy one.  

If the gauge is too small, sometimes I double back the wire (bend it over itself, and feed into the crimp. I hated working with a solder gun so close to the appointments ... asking for trouble.  They have these nice butt crimps now that have an insulation material that is heat shrink ... which is cool. You crimp and then heat shrink to water tight, but it also makes everything that much stronger of a connection ... got them at Home Depot.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't had the urge on this one to add anything...I have the one on the platform. 3 I think on the deck and the one at the bottom of the stairs. At the marina I figured if I needed any more light than that, it would be a lot more so I have a small desk type lamp I can plug in.....they do look nice!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought my stereo gear from an installer who does a ton of LED installations.  He claims that soldering is more reliable and lasts longer than crimps for the small stuff, so that's what I did.  It took a while ... I had about 16 fixtures that were all 4-wire LEDs.  
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I only use the courtesy light when docked or at anchor.never underway 
  • MojosBoatMojosBoat Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    I installed LED strip light under the counter of the wet bar on my 342. I used a switch that I installed uner the lid to the trash can area.

ALL IN AGAIN, 410 FV Twin 8.1 H/O MPI, V-Drives , 
    I have the same thing, but I powered it off the other cockpit lights.

@MojosBoat, man i like that looks nice
    cruising on 6. tw0s
  • MojosBoatMojosBoat Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    @Stodge, I thought about that but I wanted them separate. Previous owner had already installed blue LED cup holders and Blue Led under the swim platform and had switches under the lid to the trash can. I just piggy backed off what was there and added a new switch. Same switch I used on my LED for the pull out bar. 
    ALL IN AGAIN, 410 FV Twin 8.1 H/O MPI, V-Drives ,