270 9'2 beam...why no twins

skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
Just curious why Rinker didn't offer twin engines in the 270 model.  Plenty of other brands out there with similar beams that offer twins.
2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3

Comments

• zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    That’s lil tight
    twin should be 10 plus beam
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The older one's had twins, mid 90's I think. I always thought the 270 should a least have a big block. I've only seen one. It must have been a special order.
    Boat Name : 

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked the fact that this large a vessel had the one motor...it's what sold me on it...do I wish I had the bigger motor? For sure....
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love mine. And unlike some I certainly don't find the single 5.7 underpowered. Gets on plane nice and cruises at a good speed. Just working on the single engine in there seems tight to me, can't imagine trying to get in there with twins.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't get me wrong...I don't mind the single.  Just curious why it wasnt offered.  Searay 280 is a 9' 5" beam for twins
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be really tight in the engine room with twins. The 280FV had twins, but it had a 10' or wider beam.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    I'm with you @Willhound...maybe if I was just paying someone to work on it! Plus, not getting younger either...sigh....
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Ive seen a diesel powered carver 26 santa cruz 8ft 6 beam twin volvo penta stern drives.  Inline 6 i believe, very much a special order or one off custom job.  The santa cruz 26 came in both inboard and the more common I/O.  Ive seen a few 8 to 8.5 ft beam older stern drives with twin inline 4 and 6 cyl gassers, mostly fishing style off shore hulls.   

The V8 or v6 would be a tight squeeze sub 10 ft.  Accessing a starter would be a nightmare.

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i live on the water- can be at the inlet with nothing between me and Spain'ish or the UK depending on magnetic deviation of a compass but water.  I can count on one hand how many times i've taken the rinker out of that inlet.  if i did go offshore? i mean, regularly? i'd like the notion of twins even on a boat the size of the 212 rinker... (although it would be another boat and outboards).  

other than that and for a boat under 30~35' and a beam under 10~12', i really can't determine an advantage of twins... outboard? sure- slap two 150's before a single 300 and it makes sense as... well, why not? inshore or the sound? again, i can't figure out any advantage of twins on a boat that size.  
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Advantages of twins in a smaller hull

A.  More motors than your neighbors similar size boat. Bragging rights at the yacht club are something we all covet

B. Doing your part to keep money flowing to big oil companies by the added fuel costs.  That Arabian Prince isnt going to get into falconry without your financial assistance!!!
    C.  In the event of a break down you have a second motor to limp home. 

D. Better docking manners

E. Supporting local business, twice the motors twice the maintenance from your favourite marine tech.

F.  600 or more hp in a sub 30 ft cruiser,  because sometimes you neeed to pull an entire ski team.  Lets face it, two places you can never have enough horse power, the track and on the water.

• DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    My previous boat was a Monterey 282 it had 5.0 twins with a 10' beam.....MAN was that tight!! Absolutely NO room to do anything. 
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    My 342 is tight. Cant get to the genny one one side and the other has the how water heater and batteries and I am not exactly little.....lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
     docking would be the only advantage I could think of...although I have never operated a boat with twins....at least I can get down in there and work on stuff...if I did not have the genny it would really be a lot easier to service the water pump...just did not want the expense of two motors and out drives ...fuel etc....
    IMO the biggest advantage is if one engine shuts down you have another to get home/safety...... Docking I almost always just use one engine.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    My 342 is tight. Cant get to the genny one one side and the other has the how water heater and batteries and I am not exactly little.....lol
    Big difference in the engine compartment between a 2002 and 2005. I've got tons of room in mine.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
    DanD2 said:
    Big difference in the engine compartment between a 2002 and 2005. I've got tons of room in mine.
    That's because they pushed the stern back. Mine is tight.........lol