GRILL MOUNT ON PLATFORM.

hey all. I bought a kuuma grill with pedestal mount, went kuuma because of its low profile compared to magma and my limited storage on the 192. Anyway I’m looking to add the grill mount on the swim platform. Boat is in the water slipped, so I really rather not through bolt it. I will only ever be using the grill either at my slip or anchored in a cove, otherwise it will be stowed. I know it may not be the preferred way but is there any reason why I seriously shouldn’t just use 3 self tapping screws with some 4200 on it and drill it right in? Any input appreciated.

Comments

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    If your platform is cored you run the risk of water getting into the wood.  My platform is cored so I thru bolted by making 3/8 holes, filling them with penetrating epoxy, then drilling 1/4 holes in the dried epoxy.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you're going to end up with a mess if you use self taping screws on that length of mount. The torque is going to be a lot on the base, and put those screws and everything around it under tremendous stress. I'm pretty sure you're gelcoat will eventually crack.  The good thing with through bolt is it puts things in compression, which is WAY better for fiberglass and gelcoat. 

Even if you think you won't have rocking ... one bump by someone, or even trying to jiggle it on and off, will probably cause problems. 

Also as others have said, you need to ensure you don't get water into the core ... it won't last long.

You do know you could use a scotty rod holder as a grill mount right? Not sure if you have room on your gunwale for it:

http://www.marinesupplydock.com/Magma-T10365-Socket-Type-Fish-Rod-Holder-Mount-Fits-Scotty-Striker-Grip-Rod-MMA-T10365.htm

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    I bolted mine down, stainless and nylock washers with 5200 to seal
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    As you probably already know....in life there is the easy way to do things and the correct way to do things.   Please don't think your decision is being "judged"...we are just trying to offer an answer to a question you have posed.  A little more effort now, could save you a lot of headaches later.
  • strictlybliznesstrictlybliznes Member Posts: 46
    Oh boy I will admit I was eager yesterday and went ahead and installed before checking back here. The 192 had a option swim platform that went directly on top of the small molded in one, I installed that option olatform
    just this season. I can confirm it is NOT cored, when I drilled in pilot holes nothing but white flakes came up... I even put washers in the holes of the mount that had a perfect fit before the bolts, so I truly believe that no water will be leaking from above through the mount, additionally the mount is mounted over the small molded in platform that came on the boat, so there is definitely not anything exposed underneath 
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you live with that temporarily and then just drill through and through bolt when the boats out of the water this fall?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• strictlybliznesstrictlybliznes Member Posts: 46
    MarkB said:
    Can you live with that temporarily and then just drill through and through bolt when the boats out of the water this fall?
    Exactly what I’m gonna do.