Fresh water won't pump to taps

TinmanTinman Member Posts: 1
Just bought Rinker 250v Fiesta 
Can not figure out why I pump will not send to taps pump works and pulled line off at pump and it works then will pump to bilge under engine and will empty out the side of boat until tank is empty pump will continue to run
Any Ideas

Comments

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like your system isn't able to build up pressure.  Just letting it pump into the bilge doesn't require any pressure.

Does your pump run continuously or does it turn off automatically after a few minutes?  If it runs continuously then you have a leak somewhere that's not allowing pressure to build up.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you need to close the drain valve on the water heater.  Also, when you run the system for the first time, it takes a while to fill the water heater.  
  • Ripple270Ripple270 Member Posts: 18
    LaRea - please elaborate. How long is "a while"? I have a 270 and have the same issue. Does the fresh water automatically got through the water heater from the holding tank? I replaced the pump last summer, tried the shop vac priming method at the farthest and closest faucets (all other faucets closed) and no luck. I only sucked up a few drops that were probably left in the lines. The previous owner never used the system and now I see why. There has to be a shut valve or something that I'm missing. Any ideas? 
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lines will take a few seconds to pressurize before the pump stops, if there's no leaks. Yes, the hot water tank is pressurized via the fresh water tank and pump.  So if the drain valve or PSV is open, it's going to simply fill up your bilge.

Are you saying that with the line attached to the pump, the water fills up in the bilge until your water tank is empty? If so, it means you're leaking water somewhere.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

MarkB - I filled the 33 gal fresh water tank and replaced the fresh water pump and ensured that it worked. I checked to make sure that the pump worked / had power and was attempting to pump water and was not on backwards pushing water. The problem had been getting the freshwater through the water heater and to the faucets. I've tried to prime the system in several ways (shop vac on the wife open faucet with all others closed) with no luck of pulling any water from the fresh water tank. I do not believe there is a leak since the tank has remained full. I have looked all around the bilge and cannot find a shut off valve coming from the tank. I even dropped the new pump below the tank to try and create a gravity suction and get the system primed. 

Any guidence on this is appreciated. My wife wants the running water badly for coking, cleaning, and showers. I understand that the toilet runs on a different system pulling in lake water to fill the bowl. I think...
    I'll assume the hot water tank and galley pump need to be on to work properly. 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ripple270 said:
    Hot water tank does not need to be turned on to have water flow. As per another post on this topic try opening the pressure relief valve on tank to let air out until you see water and then close valve. Keep the hot water taps turned on while you do so all air is purged from lines too. It sometimes can take a half a tank of water or more before things are good.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    While the pump is running, unscrew the filter a bit. You should then see it start to pump the water
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Do you get water to come out the cold water faucets?
    Thanks all. Nothing on either hot or cold side so far, but I'll try to locate the pressure relief valve with faucets open this weekend and unscrew the filter. It could possibly be vapor/air locked or there could be a leak in a line /cracked line on the tank side of the pump causing it to not build pressure. I'll follow up with pics and progress. 

Ripple270 said:

Water flows through the hot water tank ... whether it's on or off. The only thing the water tank does is heat that water as it goes through it.  On my previous 260EC hot water could be heated via shore power, or via engine (served to cool engine and heat up the hot water tank) while underway.

If boat isn't running and hot water 110V is off ... then you'll get flow through it, and cold water at the taps.  Actually works exactly the same as your water heater in your home (except that might be gas if you are living in the North).

"Boat + Water = Fun"

I rebuilt the Jabsco electric toilet assembly last night and installed it. It flushes, but will not refill. Does this system tie into the fresh water tank or should it pull lake water? I have water issues apparently. Can't seem to get this thing figured out! I need fresh water flowing badly. 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    @Ripple270 check and see if you have the valve on the hose to the intake open. It draws water in from the lake.
    2008 330EC
    @aero3113 - is that the valve under the mid aft cabin bed in the same compartment as the shower sump pump? There are a couple of valves there, but I figured that they were open. They are pointed in line with the water line. Perpendicular to the line would be closed correct? 
    After this head issue is resolved I'm digging into this fresh water tank situation. The tank has held 33 ga off water since last season. No leaks in the tank, not leaking into the bilge, new pump, power to pump and hot water tank. I'm going to start by turning on galley pump and water heater, open hot water faucets and hot water pressure relief valve, hopefully water comes out of the bilge. If not, I'm stumped and will be draining the water tank and removing it or checking all connections. 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, in-line with the hose will be an open valve. I’m not sure how the 270 is set up, I have a 242 and the valve is under the steps.
    2008 330EC
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    I have a 342 so I am not too sure of your set up. Do you have a shore water hook-up? If yes does the water get to the taps? Did you check the filter that is right near the pump? You will not get water until the hot water heater if full. Most likely 6 gallons.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Ripple270 said:
    @aero3113 - is that the valve under the mid aft cabin bed in the same compartment as the shower sump pump? There are a couple of valves there, but I figured that they were open. They are pointed in line with the water line. Perpendicular to the line would be closed correct? 

Mine was water from the lake. Through hull located basically under the mattress in mid-berth (under stairs).  You should see a hose and valve, have a look. 

Some systems need to be primed.  Just fill the head with water using a bucket and flush a few times.  See if that works to get the water going.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• TickledPinkTickledPink Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    @Tinman I know this is an old post, but did you work out the problem and resolve the issue? I also have a FV 250 with the same problem.