Personal opinion or political comment removed.

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
Post edited by rasbury on

Comments

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tick anybody off lately?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what I'm saying...and this could have turned pretty serious. I usually do a trailer walk a round before I leave the hood, guess I need to be very vigilant on this. Maybe even a camera but I don't see that is practical...
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    Slightly off topic: A friend of mine went to a quick change oil place and had her tires rotated. Left the place, got about 1/2 block and a wheel fell off. Dumb @$$ worker forgot to put the lug nuts on one of the tires.
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    TonyG13 said:
    Slightly off topic: A friend of mine went to a quick change oil place and had her tires rotated. Left the place, got about 1/2 block and a wheel fell off. Dumb @$$ worker forgot to put the lug nuts on one of the tires.
    Same thing here. At a Quick Oil place - left after tire rotate in my wife’s Durango. Felt funny in the parking lot......didn’t tighten one wheel. Scored the inside of the aluminum rim.

Hey Ras, your air cap is missing too. Bastards.......

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tie your dog out at the trailer for the night.
    Some needed a 225/15 bit didnt have a jack
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was an ex Rinker guy no doubt
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you're paranoid, you've earned it, Sir. 

I've seen wheels do that without help.  the issue is the taper of the stud itself, and the habit people have of over torquing them.  they won't 'snap back' and hold the lug after a few over torques.  this is ESPECIALLY true of cheap chinese wheel studs.  I can't recall off the top of my head with enough confidence to share, but count the tics and the shape of the ticks on the studs face.  like other bolts, they are graded.  i THINK the ones with three tics that are shorter and closer to the outside are the chinese ones not worth a whistle, and the 3 tics that are quite a bit longer are the good ones... see how they did that?  the cheap chinese ones not only fatigue MUCH quicker, but they don't have the taper to the degree required.  it's a slight thing, but pretty dang important.  

blue loctite is your friend.  I've even used red before, but know that red has to be torched to get them off. 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My point was, if they backed off going down the road on a 7 mile trip that wheel would have ate the studs up or at the least damaged the threads..