Options

Speakers and leaks

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
With our conversations about leaks and re bedding various screws ....why aren't speakers which are pretty much a big hole a concern?

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably because they are inside the cockpit and not usually exposed to massive amounts of water. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I have speakers around the helm and it the back...when it rains, they do get a lot of water at them!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marine speaker cones are typically polymer and water resistant and come with a foam sealing ring for between the hull and speaker body. Mine even have little drain holes in the trim ring so any water hitting the speaker drains out, not in. Had to be sure to orient the speaker the proper way so holes were at the bottom when mounting.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    10 4, just checking! Does not mean mine don't leak being an 06....
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose they could and your 06 is a different layout than my 00 but I know that on mine the speakers are all located where any water would just go into the bilge. Nothing would drain into the cabin. And where they're located, if it's raining that hard my tops are up. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Well...to update, I have the boat home and one heck of a rain came in today...no leak. So when I have the mooring cover on no leaks but the window screws are covered. Today, I have the camper package up which covers nothing and no leak. I have the ceiling pulled down and the leak is running down just forward of the window there at the midship. I pulled the window out before so it has to be running down from the speaker by the map pocket or the storage behind the seat there by that speaker

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you taken the grill off the speaker to look at the actual speaker cone?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    No..I tried to get the screws out but they just stripped out so it's going to be one of those...

I did get the screws out and did not see any evidence of leak but I did put plastic in there so if it does get wet it should not go down in the interior, if it would or did- but not my leak.
    Post edited by rasbury on
  • Options
    To update, I finally resolved this leak. Our boat is a 270. The seating next to the helm has a dry storage where the bench seat curves. PO I guess did not like that water did not drain- easy fix, drill a couple of holes with no thought of where it drains. It drained right into the ceiling of the midship berth and through the bulkhead into to genny which has significant rust going on....what a dumb ****!
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Ooooo - good solution.

Whataknob!
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current