Traveling to the US

JFDeeJFDee Member Posts: 27
Can anyone tell me what the process is to travel from Canada to the US. I would like to go to Smugglers Run near Wyandotte Michigan, what do I need besides a passport

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just cross over in a boat like they do down south and say you want asylum. No papers needed! LOL
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you need the CBP ROAM App and you can check in from your smart phone:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-boats-private-flyers/pleasure-boat-overview/roam
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you need a passport? I lived in northern ND and we went back and forth all the time...
  • JFDeeJFDee Member Posts: 27
    Yes I do need a passport but I think before I can get off my boat I need to call in, then they call me back and I give them information
    You must call in through the app 

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    Do you need a passport? I lived in northern ND and we went back and forth all the time...
    Since 9/11, you need a passport to cross the border.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah...I'm talking 50 years ago...
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    If you call in by phone they will tell you to use the app instead.  The app just went on-line last year and they've been pushing it hard.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

yep - I used the app last summer and again a few weeks ago. Works great. Last summer they made me video chat through the app with an officer. A few weeks ago I was approved as in to the US right through the app with no chat. You get an email confirmation that your in. In the US we have to pay $30 per year for the privileged of using the app and returning home, but I dont think there are any fee's for those hailing from the land of Molson. Will tell you when you set up the app. It asks for all kinds of info including pics of your passport.

edited July 2019
    @Liberty44140 I don't pay to use the app, but I do pay for my Nexus.  That averages to $20/year ($50/5 years per person) and includes TSA-pre.

Stodge said:
    @Liberty44140 I don't pay to use the app, but I do pay for my Nexus.  That averages to $20/year ($50/5 years per person) and includes TSA-pre.
    Yea we considered that but the sticker was just a quick online payment wheras I believe Nexus is a more in depth process with an in person interview. May have to do that next year though so that the Admiral can join me at pre check :) 

Stodge said:
    Yea we considered that but the sticker was just a quick online payment wheras I believe Nexus is a more in depth process with an in person interview. May have to do that next year though so that the Admiral can join me at pre check :) 
    Ohhhh you're referring to the "over 30 foot" sticker?  Or what they call the transponder sticker?  Small square with last digit of year on it?

Those have been required for a long time.  Didn't realize the app wanted them too.  Good to know.  We get those anyway.

Yep @Stodge, exactly the sticker. App asks for the sticker number, or the order confirmation number for the sticker if you just ordered the sticker and it has not come in yet. 

• JFDeeJFDee Member Posts: 27
    App and info all loaded in, going to head to Seaway boat club tomorrow.