Alligators in Chicago?

Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they brought in gators to eat the Asian Carp.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    That's the 2nd gator in 2 years.  My family used to own a pet store in Chicago...be surprised how many people would come in asking if we could get them an alligator.  Usually not the smartest people
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    @skennelly a few years ago I was visiting my aunt in Fort Lauderdale. We were driving to supper and I saw an iguana in a palm tree.  I'm used to seeing lizards all over the place down there but not iguana.  When I asked her about it she said they were breeding in the wild after several people decided to release them after having them as pets for a time.  She said the worst part was when it got cold (50s) they'd fall out of the trees.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just saw on the news the other day that Florida residents are allowed to kill Iguanas on their property. Only on their own property. I guess there becoming a problem?
    2008 330EC
  • McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I guess they’re digging tunnels under ground that’s destroying building foundations, roads, etc. 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Met a bartender in Key West last winter that with property owners permission hunts them with a crossbow. Says they're delicious on the BBQ.  Tails especially.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    South FL is getting over run with the darn things...a very evasive species I have heard. Have not seen them up here in the Central Florida area...yet....they can get pretty large and can even go after small dogs...they are meat eaters! Sharp teeth and claws.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have had 2 or 3 that have been let loose in the rivers here in Pittsburgh this summer. They will survive until the winter freeze. Then they will get eaten by the catfish and carp. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Met a bartender in Key West last winter that with property owners permission hunts them with a crossbow. Says they're delicious on the BBQ.  Tails especially.

I had croc in South Africa.  Kind of a perfect blend of chicken and fish flavor.  With the right seasoning, it is delicious.  Tails, if I remember, have a bit of fat ... so that adds to the flavor, if you're into that.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    MarkB said:
    Willhound said:

I had croc in South Africa.  Kind of a perfect blend of chicken and fish flavor.  With the right seasoning, it is delicious.  Tails, if I remember, have a bit of fat ... so that adds to the flavor, if you're into that.

Yep, I ate them when I was in Australia.  I agree on the taste.  It was actually delicious!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    South FL is getting over run with the darn things...a very evasive species I have heard. Have not seen them up here in the Central Florida area...yet....they can get pretty large and can even go after small dogs...they are meat eaters! Sharp teeth and claws.
    What??? Anyway, my neighbor shot 22 over the weekend with an air rifle. Monday morning 3 were on my dock. And they swim like you wouldnt believe. 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your in ft Myers? They made it there? Lock and load buddy!
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Alswagg would love to shoot some!!
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's up with it. People bring them there, turn them loose?
    Boat Name : 

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually they are pets that got too big, then they turn them loose.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Instead of turning them loose, why don't people simply put a bullet through the brain pan, get some good gator meat out of it and use the skin to make high end luxury handbags? 
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    The people obtaining these pets are not too smart to begin with.  I have first hand experience.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3