Anyone selling their old clarion m455??

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
My original clarion m455 lost the right side speaker output in the cockpit. They work fine in the cabin.  If I pull the faceplate out and put it back on they work for about 10 minutes then the unit gets hot and the right side in the cockpit  slowly fades and then nothing. The unit is probably shot. I want to replace it with the same one to stay stock and all remotes to work. Anyone who upgraded and wants to sell a working m455??

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure the issue is the head unit and not the amp or wiring? Could be a loose wire behind the head unit or the amp. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    I will check all that today. 
    I will I’ll check again but it’s odd that they work for a bit then fade to silence. Stumped.  
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    He mentioned the unit gets hot which can be a sign of some of the components failing.  They sell cooling spray to test transistors.  When bench testing electronics, if you spray one and the system starts working again then you've found your bad part.   Mind you that's old school.  :)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Stodge said:
    He mentioned the unit gets hot which can be a sign of some of the components failing.  They sell cooling spray to test transistors.  When bench testing electronics, if you spray one and the system starts working again then you've found your bad part.   Mind you that's old school.  :)

Been there done that.  Works very well! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Our factory M455 started cutting out in 2014. Same thing. Limped it along for a bit.

Replaced with a Clarion M303. Your existing remotes won't work, need the newer Clarion MF1's. Really easy switch. Replaced with Kicker speakers as well. Sound was far better than the factory M455 & speakers. New remotes work better too - easier to read.

That was the fix. Don't waste your time with the old unit.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    Agree with Mattie, there are many other quality products out there.  It may take a little extra work to run new remotes but well worth it in the end.
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
    Fixed the m455!  Good to go for now, loose wires. 
    Great! I had the same when I bought mine. Some speakers were out, turned out the rcas headed to the amp pulled out of the head unit.

• trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    @mattie = do the new remotes fit same cut out ? use same wire ?
    thanks
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Trip_n, the new Clarion MF1 remotes are exact replacement - fit the cut out perfectly. Need new cable though. More data, etc on the new remotes. Think the MF1’s were about $100 each. Cable was $75? Spltter cable was $25. Our boat had a helm remote & stern remote. Bluetooth was a godsend.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do make an adapter so you can use the old wire, but you don't get all of the information on the remote.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • MeltomMeltom Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Wow. I'm having the same issue with my new-to-me 08 260EC. Same factory Clarion unit. Same issue: starboard speakers in cockpit don't work but are fine in the cabin. @luvinlife do you recall which wires were loose? I checked and re-checked the l&r audio wires and still the same result. 
    Btw, this forum is awesome. Almost every question I've had as a new Rinker owner has been answered with a search here. Gracias
    Figured out my audio issue. I removed the decorative panel behind the TV compartment and discovered the right audio wire disconnected from the amp. 
  • pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    While on the M455 subject, does anyone know where the aux input access is?
    It is on the back of the head unit, red/white rca is aux in. U need a converter wire to change it from rca to 3.5mm and then run wire out of cabinet 

• pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Thanks! I will have fun reaching that.....
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't think about adding an adapter to the RCA for 3.5mm so I could play music from my phone. There has also been a few times I have lost sound on the speakers,I'll have to check my connections.  I still prefer Bluetooth though so I just ordered the newer m508 to replace the m455. Also ordered it with the RF remote so I can just remove my wired remote units. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    You can add a Bluetooth adapter to any 3.5mm jack for under $30. That’s what I do on my m455 and it works great, phone is in cockpit playing iTunes and xm no problem 

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    I kinda thought about that while typing my reply. The new stereo is only 190 though then I can get rid of my wired remote units(less than stellar condition) to free up some dash space since I ordered the RF remote. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988