Watford City or Williston, ND?

boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
Anyone here familiar with either of these places? My son is going to Watford City next week for work and will be staying in his camper for a few months. Just looking for information

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Williston....I recall playing their school in basketball....but I was probably 13... Dam them!
  • boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
    lol. He was told originally it would either be Williston or Watford City but he found out Monday it is Watford City.
    As I recall, not much going on in ND....my dad was in the army corps in engineers building nucular missle sites along the border...middle of a wheat feild middle of bfe , fence, lights and a missle silo. We rented a farm house on a 700 acre wheat farm. It was fun as a kid but to be honest, can't imagine living and especially working in that environment.  I hope he is not doing anything outside!
    lol. He is a safety coordinator for a company that installs gas pipelines so he will be outside but spends alot of time in his truck. Only supposed to be there 2-3 months then on to the next site
    Hopefully it's the two months it's warm...I remember snow on the ground 1st of September!
    Supposed to be there by August 7th. Problem is they told him that is not negotiable but they also aren't letting him have any time off to get ready. He will have to leave early Sunday morning to make it there in time but sounds like they are making him work till late Saturday night then haul his camper 3 hours back home so getting there about 9:00PM then still have to load everything up that he needs to take.

He picked up his truck tonight and his boss knew he was getting it today and knew he needed it for the ND trip and still didn't let him out of work until 5:00PM today. The dealer closes at 4:00 but the sales guy lives nearby and told him he would meet him there. He got there about 8:00PM.

To make it worse he is salary exempt and puts in about 75 hours a week every week. By the time you break it down he is probably making about $8/hour...lol
    Dang @Boatman I think I might look for a different job..  how long can anyone keep that kind of schedule and stay alive? What kind of work does he do?
    He is a safety coordinator. He has a B.S. in Safety Management. Problem is jobs are hard to come by in this area, especially with no experience. This was his first job after college and seems the only way to get any experience around here is to take a job not many want until they can get the experience. He is hoping to only be there another year or two then have enough experience to get a job locally. The only thing that saves him is he gets his regular pay, plus $1300/week for housing (he bought a brand new camper last year and lives in it) and he gets $1100/month for truck allowance. He just bought a truck yesterday, had been using a company truck but can't tow with a company truck. Up until now I have moved it for him but ND is a little too far...lol. He has never got the truck allowance yet since he just got the truck yesterday.
    He will get there...we all got to start at the bottom. I'm impressed he realizes it. Most come out of college and are ready for the corner office with a few and a hundred grand a year...good for him and I'm sure he will do fine with his life....
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    When i graduated hs in 2000 8 bucks and hour was decent money!   
    20 years ago....in 76 when I graduated I was make a hundred a week and could pay rent!
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    20 years ago....in 76 when I graduated I was make a hundred a week and could pay rent!
    I see what you did there!
    So yesterday his boss told him probably won't be going until next week now. Then today his boss's boss told him he is going for sure this weekend...lol. So he has to leave early Sunday morning but he was told he has to work Saturday but that he can TRY to leave early. Even if he works till noon he won't get home until about 6:00PM. It's a 3 hour drive from where he is and he would have to go back and hook up his camper then head home. That would only leave him a few hours to get the camper ready for the 1500 mile drive and get everything loaded up. I feel bad. Wife said she thought about riding out with him then flying back but with such short notice it probably won't happen and she can't help drive anyway with the camper on the back (it's about 33' front to back).

Oddly, he just bought a truck last Saturday for this trip. 2018 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi but it doesn't have tow mirrors. I called around and they are on backorder and only 10 dealers in the country have them in stock currently. The closest to us is about 150 miles away but there is a dealer in Dickinson, ND that he will be driving right past on I-94 that has a set in stock. But by then he is 85 miles from his destination so might as well wait and try t to find them cheaper.
    I have seen kind of cheaters at auto parts stores that bungee or something onto the mirrors you have to extend the view out...pretty darn important!
    yeah. he just ordered a set of the 'clip on' extenders. no way he could get the real mirrors in time. Dodge has them on backorder until about November and the aftermarkets wouldn't have made it here with enough time for him to get them installed. Hopefully the clip-ons work well enough
    I hope they work- has to be safer than zip!
    Son made it to Watford City this morning. 1500 miles in just over 2 days towing an 8000lb camper with a truck he just bought 1 week ago...lol. Truck did great. 2018 2500 Ram 6.4L Hemi. Got about 8.5 MPG average. He doesn't have much experience towing so he dove in the deep end here...lol. Will likely be there until about x-mas time.