Drilling into track where snaps are on front windshield and the windshield shattered

I bought a new enclosure and wanted to put the twist lock fasteners on instead of the snaps.  We drilled into the track where the snaps were and it went right through but when we went to screw in the screws for the base of the fastener it shattered the windshield.  Did we just hit a bad spot or is the glass all the way up into that track?  If so what type of fastener can we use to put it directly onto the track?  Some kind of adhesive?  2007 Rinker 270 V.  This boating stuff is tuff for us newbie's  sorry for all the questions.

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that.  Apparently, even a small nick at the edge of the glass will make it shatter.  I wouldn't drill anywhere in the track because you don't know how far in the window goes at any given point. 

Have you read the other threads here about how to order a replacement, and how to make a temporary window from a sheet of Lexan?
  • mskariannemskarianne Member Posts: 29
    No I have not but it's ok as it is just the walk through window.  We found a local company that will replace that.  We also found out there is a part that goes in the rail that you can screw into instead of the actual boat.  Just trying to find out what they are called so I can find them

• DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Yuuupppp....did that on one of my curved windows back in 2014.....cost me $2400 for that mistake. I was putting in snaps for my mooring cover and decided not to wait for the clip-in snaps....not a smart move....lol
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
    Dan that is exactly what my husband did lol.  I guess not as bad as yours as it cost us $150 from the local company

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you if you go to TaylorMade Systems website they have all of the accessories listed for the windshields. You can get the part numbers then google it to find a retailer. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Dan that is exactly what my husband did lol.  I guess not as bad as yours as it cost us $150 from the local company

Lucky.....mine was the curved window!!
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
    Dan ours was to and that is what our local class place charged us

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So my cover, which goes over the window, the snaps are on the deck and not the frame...the snaps on the frame are only on the too for the enclosure...I bought a used mooring cover and added snaps to the cover rather than snap bases to the boat...
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been told the morning cover shoul cover the windshield and attach to the deck but I’ve seen lots that attach to the window frame 
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    That’s how mine is - to deck.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

GMSLITHO said:
    I’ve been told the morning cover shoul cover the windshield and attach to the deck but I’ve seen lots that attach to the window frame 

Moring cover over the window to the deck is best but can be difficult to install.
    2008 330EC
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    It can be tight to get on but with one of those handy dandy tools to pull on the snaps it’s a breeze.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/