Seacock use

MeltomMeltom Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
Still getting to learn about my 08 260EC. Going to activate the head and the AC next. How do you guys leave the seacocks when under way and at the dock?
Do you close the head seacock after each flush?
The manual is next to useless on these subjects. 

Comments

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    I dont know about power boats but i only closed the sea cocks in my sailboat when i left it at the mooring.  On weekends id keep them open while i was on the boat.  This way if a hose sprung a leak during the week i wouldnt come back to a sunk boat.  

Occasionally sailboats must close a seacock or two while underway due to heeling which makes stink drains under water level.  

If you're heeling in a planing hull you're already in trouble 😜
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Most leave the AC and head seacocks open the whole season.  I run my AC all season even when I'm not at the boat.  It would be crazy to open and close the head seacock after every flush.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leave mine open all year. Probably shouldn't but I do check it from time to time and I'm at the boat every couple of days since the marina is only about 10 mins from the house. I also open and close them once in a while to ensure not stuck in case I ever do need to close it. 
    The common suggestion though is to close them when leaving the boat.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Ditto

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I opened my AC one the day I got it ( 2 or 3 years ago) and have never touched it since, opening and closing will only make it more prone to leaks. I do have a high water alarm ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/Basement-Watchdog-Battery-Operated-Water-Alarm-BWD-HWA/100038838 ) installed in the mid bilge and an amazon cloud cam that will alert me if it hears the alarm going off... just to be safe. 

For the head, I don't ever use salt water in it...that's what makes it REALLY stink, so I tell people to do their business and then use the freshwater from the sink in the bowl before flushing... 
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    I never close any of mine. It's especially hard to close them considering I didn't know there was any for the AC or the toilet. I keep the lever on the toilet hand pump over on the opposite end from the warning symbol if that's what everyone means?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • MeltomMeltom Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Thanks for the tips guys. I see where the consensus is heading now. The Rinker manual is very generic. Vague and non-specific to my model. Not sure if I got short-changed but suffice to say, without this forum, I'd be flying blind.  ;)
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW I always closed my seacocks when not on the boat  even though the hoses were double clamped. I had reminders made and placed on the electrical panel to re-open them before running the generator or  HVAC....yes my ocd would not let me walk away from a boat with two potential sources of rapid water intrusion. I wasn't worried about damaging the seacocks with constant use as I felt that using them prevented them from seizing. 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    At a minimum, you want to exercise all of your seacocks several times a year.  I agree that most people leave them open (I'm on a lift, so no concern of sinking).  I do close my AC one each weekend because it loses prime when I put it up on a lift.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    If i had wifi at the mooring i keep my sailboat on and an alarm alert system id not give a second thought about leaving the seacocks open.    At my mooring the most technology i have is whatever i haul from the beach to the boat in the dingy.  
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    My seacocks are left open all summer ac and head 
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I left mine open all the time.  I did close/open about twice a year to prevent them from ceasing up due to scale ... not that I ever ran into that problem, but was told it's good practice.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seacock for my toilet I leave closed and use my pull out sink to clean and flush. I’ll cycle the seacock once or twice a season.
    2008 330EC