And the hits keep coming

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
Had a less than fun weekend.  Decided to head out Saturday afternoon.  We got out of the canal and tried to get on plane but could not.  Tried 3 times and gave up and headed back home.  As we got close to the dock I shifted to neutral to further slow down.  I applied reverse but noticed I wasn't slowing much.   I applied more reverse and lunged forward into our seawall.  The boat wedged on a post at the seawall.  The shifters were in neutral at this point but the boat was stuck good.  Had to turn off the engines to un-wedge the boat.

Next day went and tried the engines/shifters.  Starboard works as it should.  Port is stuck in forward.

So back to the shop we go.  :(

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Well, sounds like it could be something as simple as the shift cable.  They always seem to fail around docking time (guess that's when you are using them).  I had my stbd one get caught in reverse a couple years ago.  Pretty quick and easy fix.  They did mine in the sling and put her back in the water all in about an hour.  Good luck!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Any damage to the boat
    Same engine they worked on?
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Note that it can be pretty easy to run the shift cable the wrong way, and then the coupler can nick the cable.  

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    DI is correct about misplaced shift cables, they can cause nightmares if they fail at a bad time (is there a good time?) Anyway - on my EC 310 they ran the shift cables the wrong way and one got burned. I noticed shifting problems (this is at about 2 hours of use). I know they thought I was nuts. The Mercruiser factory rep was in the area and took it out. He just left the slip and was preparing to turn to Starboard to enter the fairway when he lost control of the boat - one engine was in reverse the other one was jammed slightly in forward. He had the presence of mind (experience) to cut the engines. He was yelling for assistance as the wind was pushing that new boat towards the anchors of the boats moored downwind. Plus (Ha Ha) - everyone saw me standing on the dock with my hands on my hips....with a "if you damage my boat" look :-( ......You should have seen the dock hands/technicians sprint from everywhere to make sure no gel coat got swapped onto a dock. On the travel lift - shop trailer and back to the shop. I'm not sure if I ever posted pictures of that cable (I'll try to find some) but it was shot - burned through the black cable housing and cable wires frayed. Good news no other damage - believe me I was down there with a camera. Best news - it was a "big cheese" from Mercury driving - not me. Can't blame Mercruiser though - this was done on Nautic Global's watch. Sure wouldn't have happened if Al was in charge!
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    @zaverin1

Yes there were flakes of gelcoat in the water after the impact.

No this was port side.  Starboard is the engine that was just replaced.

If not for the gelcoat work that needs to be done I'd hope for a quick fix.  But she has to come out for a while.

• mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Brutal...........the words 'gelcoat, flakes & impact' never belong together.

Another story to reminisce about when you get to an old age home.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
    mattie said:
    Brutal...........the words 'gelcoat, flakes & impact' never belong together.

Another story to reminisce about when you get to an old age home.
    More likely put in my memoirs.  I don't know if I'll make it to an old age home.  This boating hobby is gonna kill me before that I think.  

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first time it happened to me was one of the most baffling experiences I've had while operating a boat.  It's hard to describe that feeling of bewildered helplessness.  

The second time it happened, I knew right away that I had to cut the engines. 
    Yep same happened to me with a single.
    pulled in and noticed idle rpm was little
    high in gear.
    threw it in reverse to slow down 
    put her back in forward and gave gas to steer in.

let’s just say she was still in reverse lol
    cable separated right at the arm and caused me to crash into the dock and another boat.

• DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, my port cable broke a few years back while I was in forward. I was in a channel real close to my slip getting ready to tow somebody in. Boat was handling funny and I had to tell the guy I couldn't help him. I didn't know what the heck was happening and it took me a while to figure it out....lol
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I think Ill take a good look at my cable I replaced the one going to the drive last season