Options

ink stain on vinyl

SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
Ball point pen from granddaughter caught the side of vinyl seat in cockpit the other day.  Tried Simple Green, Spray 9 and Magic Eraser.  None of these touched it.  I've read to try rubbing alcohol on vinyl, but I'm a bit concerned of alcohol affecting the vinyl.  Any ideas or experience with this?

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough one, you may have to have air brushed to cover the stain ... discuss with a vinyl repair person.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    You can try goog gone they sell it in the paint department or I’ve had great results with McGuire degreaser with a magic eraser ,someone on the site here recommended it ,seems I could only get it on line but it’s my go to cleaner now 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Try letting the sun bleaching it out. I had the same thing a few years ago. I tried everything but nothing worked. Left the boat uncovered for a few days then noticed that the ink stain was gone. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    Try letting the sun bleaching it out. I had the same thing a few years ago. I tried everything but nothing worked. Left the boat uncovered for a few days then noticed that the ink stain was gone. 

This is true.  We actually had someone's wet denim jeans stain one of our seats blue ... I couldn't get it out, but after about 3 weeks, sun got rid of it completely.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Here's bad news.  Found this on docksidecanvas.com website regarding care of vinyl. 

"Note: Nothing will clean Sharpie marker and ink stains off of vinyl boat seats and upholstery. When the ink penetrates into the vinyl it cannot be removed. The mark may be dulled in color and become a little bit less noticeable by using a solvent but the solvent will permanently damage the vinyl in the process. The only way to fix it is to replace the affected panel in the upholstery."

I guess I should ban pens from the boat and hope for the sun and time to do its thing.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being a parent is all it takes to come to terms with the fact wild animals sometimes eat their young. I'm not saying it's right, id never eat my kid but it does make sense.   
  • Options
    Got back from boat yesterday.  Both my wife and I felt the ink mark had already faded some. Still tried rubbing alcohol and a miracle product we've used on various household stains called Grandma's Secret Spot Remover.  Neither one had any effect.  We're going to step back now and let the sun and time do it's thing.
  • Options
    Spyderweb said:
    Here's bad news.  Found this on docksidecanvas.com website regarding care of vinyl. 

"Note: Nothing will clean Sharpie marker and ink stains off of vinyl boat seats and upholstery. When the ink penetrates into the vinyl it cannot be removed. The mark may be dulled in color and become a little bit less noticeable by using a solvent but the solvent will permanently damage the vinyl in the process. The only way to fix it is to replace the affected panel in the upholstery."

I guess I should ban pens from the boat and hope for the sun and time to do its thing.
    You can have it sprayed. Call a vinyl repair guy, they do incredible work. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    While up on the boat the other day I happened to check on the ink mark.  Happy to report it is completely gone.  The sun did the trick. Took 21 days.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Ha ha told you......lol Glad its gone
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    walleyrwalleyr Member Posts: 34
    Had success using Amodex.

• Options
    Nothing beats the sun for bleaching stuff.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MarkB said:
    Nothing beats the sun for bleaching stuff.
    Yep. Tops, decks, paint, your hair...
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)