FiestaVee 27 2005

I have my boat in Kingston Ont Canada and it will have to be pulled out to change the steering pin. We ordered the part and it comes to 700$ Canadian . This my first boat and have had it for 4yrs. Haven't had much trouble until now . Am i paying too much for this piece ?

Comments

• GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    What actually are you getting 
  • RinkerFiestaVee_2005RinkerFiestaVee_2005 Member Posts: 9
    the mechanic ordered  a steering pin.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    45 bucks for SS off eBay.... that's the way I went..
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I had my steering pin(stainless), bellows,gimbal bearing, spark plugs replaced along with timing and some other items checked for $2,400.00 .
    2008 330EC
  • skuter99skuter99 Member Posts: 174 ✭✭
    Any parts you buy in Canada are over priced.
    I live in Canada but work in the U.S..
    Buy all my parts over there.
    thank you for getting back to me. aero3113 said:
    I had my steering pin(stainless), bellows,gimbal bearing, spark plugs replaced along with timing and some other items checked for $2,400.00 .
    would a stainless be less expensive than the brass won he got. ?
    Your guy probably is getting the merc one....mine was made in China and I'm sure a patent infringement and cheap....if your to survive the cost of owning these post( unless you are just loaded) you have to do some research...example my power steering pump fried....I could not spend 700 from Merc for one...with some research, the pump is a STD Saginaw gm pump for a pick up for 59 bucks. My can was fine just the bearing went 
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    skuter99 said:
    Any parts you buy in Canada are over priced.
    I live in Canada but work in the U.S..
    Buy all my parts over there.
    The Canadians walk among us and we don't even notice, Trump is pushing for a wall at the wrong border😜.  Could you imagine what the absence of Canadians in the NHL US markets would be like?  It would be equal to turning the NFL to the CFL.  I gotta give big props to the respect Canadians show the US.  We have so much protesting going on in our major sports,  there's a viral video on the internet of an American hockey team playing a team in Canada, for those of you who don't watch hockey they sing both Canadian and US National anthems before games. The p.a. system glitched and sound cut out during the American national anthem.  The crowd(Canadian)  picked up and sang the remainder of the song without missing a beat.  Most American hockey teams are made up of a large majority of Canadian players and I'm willing to bet asside from teams near the border most American fans don't know the words to Canadian anthem. Very classy group of fans in that stadium.   (Not a political choosing side post, just saw the video and thought it was awesome what the Canadian fans did for the opposing American team.  Think Bama fans would show that much respect to a visiting Tennessee team?)  

But yes do lots of research before spending coin on Mercury parts when aftermarket or GM be had at a much cheaper price.  Just be careful with some items. I can attest that aftermarket outdrive to transom water hose kinks as it's not as thick walled as oem mercruiser.  Learn from the mistakes many of us have made! This site has more helpful active posters than any other forum I've been on.

Now that i know Cancuck who crosses the border i gotta know, got any 25+ yr old land cruisers you wanna bring across the border to sell????  Gotta be 25 yrs plus or they gotta be brought across the border in pieces.  EPA will only allow me to put 25yr and older on the road.  I can use power trains out of newer ones.  I have a soft spot for the 70 series both long and short wheel base rigs that we never got in the USA, we didn't get the diesels or 5 speeds either.  

Fun fact, volvo penta uses some land cruiser diesel motors for their marine motors, so do fork trucks sold in the U.S..
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m not sure if there is a brass pin?? I would think it wouldn’t be strong enough and could possibly break.
    2008 330EC
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And brass wears.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    All my swing keel sailboats have had a stainless pivot bolt.  Stainless also wears as there are many keels laying on the bottom of the ocean/lake floor.  Stainless is much harder than brass but stainless is a soft metal, id imagine it's close to or less than a grade 5 bolt, im not a hardware guy so im not positive on that.  There are also grades of stainless, much of the new new China stainless is a joke.  
    its stainless but has the color of brass .
    Yea..I thought it was either aluminum or stainless come to think of it ..