Lowrance 3500 not working

Hi everyone,
We just made the switch from sailing to power boating, and are the proud owners of a 2003 270 FV, which we will keep in Rock Hall, MD.  

The lowrance depth sounder is not working (nothing displays), and from what little I have read, it seems unlikely I can find a replacement 3500 unit.  Has anyone replaced the depth sounder with a different make or model? 

TIA for any advice or guidance. 

Bob Grove

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum! Have you verified that the unit is connected to power? I’m not 100% sure but there could be a fuse in line also?
    2008 330EC
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think there is a fuse in ours and it runs off port engine so I’d check for power first before condemning the unit. 

Ours is flaky at times and so thought about using the transponder for the lowrance plotter but frequency used by the 3500 is quite different so I had to mount an external. The 3500 still works generally but I have the other. So Bob, even replacing the unit may pose issues with using same transponder, even from lowrance.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I just replaced one for a customer this spring
    guy had 2 new in the box 3500
    expensive but he wanted the oem look lol

but yes they are obsolete 
  • trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    mine has a mind of its own ... also
    @zaverin1 = any clue what might fit into that space w/o alot of mods
    mainy looking for just gps on my lake = table rock

thanks
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    to Be honest you can fit many other round sounder displays but by the time you buy the gage and sounder it’s cheaper to get you a mid grade fish/gps combo
  • bobgrove22bobgrove22 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, everyone, for the replies.  I pulled the dash panel off this weekend, and found a loose red wire. Once I fixed the wire, the depth sounder fired right up!  Glad that is the extent of that project.

Those digital vessel view displays sure look nice, but I'm fine waiting on that expense!
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,
    We just made the switch from sailing to power boating
    I did the same this season. Ive spent more money on fuel in one season power boating than i have in the past 10 years of sailing.

Welcome to the dark side.
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    But Rick you have to agree you got to where you were going a lot faster 
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,
    We just made the switch from sailing to power boating
    I did the same this season. Ive spent more money on fuel in one season power boating than i have in the past 10 years of sailing.

Welcome to the dark side.
    I have friends with a really nice 34 foot catamaran.  I told them about the trip I did around Lake Huron.  They were excited at first, then kinda sad because it would take them 6 weeks where it only took me 2.

Sailboats are pretty, and use little fuel.  But unless you're retired (or independently wealthy) you don't have the time to take them anywhere.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    well, since the topic is done, I'll bite and continue this discussion.

To me, they say that sail boating is all about the "journey" not the destination.  Power boating is all about the destination.  Many, many times I've seen sailboats leave early in the morning and hours later we'll leave and pass them within the first hour.  :)  

I guess it's all what you enjoy.  I definitely could see owning a catamaran and taking my time when retired.  But I also could just see it being some type of trawler as well (or a powercat).  

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express