Rainy Day Road Trip!

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
Worked four 12 hour shifts over the weekend (in construction supply, its our busy season) and was looking forward to a day on the water today. Awoke to a steady rain and a forecast of 20 + knot winds. A quick drive down to the local boat launch confirmed about 4 foot rollers with white caps. Crap!
So, my back up plan for days like this is a road trip to other marinas to scout out potential places to visit and perhaps relocate someday. Visited 4 different marinas in the Penetanguishine and Midland areas on southern Georgian Bay.  Two were public and you can walk around at will as long as you don't go out on the finger docks and the other two allowed us to wander around a bit after a quick trip to the office to let them know we were on the property and were potential customers.
I like to check out all the boats and the added features (The Admiral calls them my "shopping trips") and just enjoy the atmosphere. A couple of places had pub/restaurants on site or nearby for some tasty beverages and lunch. I could have gone down to our marina and tinkered around under the canvas on our boat, but it just seemed too depressing knowing I couldn't go out. Well, I could, but wouldn't.
Not the day I hoped for but still enjoyable.

Makes me wonder, what other "boat related" activities the rest of you enjoy when not actually out on the boat?
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kind of do the same thing...scout out other ramps and marinas...wife likes the road trips...I to like the atmosphere. That's my spare time...otherwise working on the boat, the yard and the house...2 great grand kids and five grandkids and then there is work. Somewhere in there I sleep! Yards in FL are year round...grass goes from every week to every other but it all still has to be kept up.
  • GreggGregg Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    @Willhound why don't you look half way. Wind is wind, most of it comes from Geogian Bay. Lol
  • GreggGregg Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Where are you going this weekend?
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Gregg it was out of the south south east. Was rocking on the north end. We do plan on getting out overnight this weekend, no definite plan yet. What you up to?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Yeah, it seems to me that no matter the condition, I, like you, can enjoy something boating related.  I love walking the docks.  When I'm in other marinas, the admiral & I always walk the docks in the evening with a cold beverage.  Always fun to look at boats and chat with others.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Not so much for a rainy day, but wife & I go down to a local restaurant called ‘Dockside’ which is located beside 3 brand new boat launches. Watching peeps at a boat launch is a never ending source of entertainment. Like a livestream boat fail video.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current