End of Season??!!!

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
W.T.F.
Received an email this morning from a marine retailer advertising an "End of Season" sale.
Then turned on the radio to hear a local dealer advertising winterizing and shrink wrap services. Really? Two months before we pull the boats here. Quit trying to jinx it !
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about Xmas stuff in the stores before Labor Day!!!
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    So in Canada boating season ends when the puck drops?   I can agree with that. 

Go Pens!!
  • bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    Captain Gill says 6 more weeks of boating !!

Watch "Captain Gill: A Tale of Legend and 'Lure'" on YouTube
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    We still have 6 more weeks at least maybe 7 if the weather is good the fall foliage on the lakes and Hudson River are beautiful and no bugs put up the camper cover and a little sun and your good to go 
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Alswagg you are so far north your head is on the clouds. Ct 82° today water  temp 75° and full sunshine no snow this year  please.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    The glass isnt just half empty, it's also urine. 

Think positive, not all of us are lucky enough to be boating south of Jacksonville fla.
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    If your south of Jacksonville for the next few days your not boating 
    edited August 2019
    I bet there will be lots of surf boards dotting the coast.

I personally consider having to deal with an occasional threat of a hurricane much better than having to deal with the inevitable appearance of winter.

I hope to be fortunate enough to make that move south one day.  Im currently working on my Spanish.  Yo soy el nino.  

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After 35+ years of life in the N.E. and 15 of them owning some kind of water craft, it absolutely feels weird to think that there is no winterization going on this year.  Typically there is a driving force in my social group to get out on the boat/jetski as much as possible. Since being in the South, the crazy thing is there's no pressure to get out on the water, infact it's almost opposite, it's hot and the water is hot so it's more like "ah we'll go boating during winter!" 

Weird for sure. 
    I can RV all winter too. LOL
  • McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    This was kind of an off season for me so my boat will most likely get pulled the end of the month. 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Definitely been a great year of boating and many weeks/months yet to go.  Fall is the most beautiful time for it. The water stays warm and nice cooler nights!!  I too have gotten emails for winterizing, and yes crazy!  Winterizing here doesn't need to happen until Thanksgiving!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Fall is great where we are too for exactly the same reasons plus the kids are back in school and their parents back at work soooo lots of room to play. :-)

What's the dark green in Florida?
    What's the dark green in Florida?

Lucky
    edited September 2019
    Canadian EH? What about the critical bands of winter weather for your Rinker brothers north of the 49th. First band is the "southern band" the - are you seruious weather band, followed by the middle weather band called the WTF weather band and lastely the we are soooo screwed band!  Soooooo - screw Winter - winterize your RINKER blender for Canadian Tailgate Parties - NOW legal in Ontrario!!!!!
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    What's a Winter Batle Zone?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

In the south we have constant winter battles from January through March.

We can get 8 inches of snow on Tuesday, be melted the next day and in the 70s by Friday.  The constant humidity makes the wind cold and you feel the constant chill in the air from October until May.   Obviously the coast is better than the upstate average temp wise(south Carolina). We dont really have seasons here.  The leaves change and flowers bloom but you pretty much get crappy cold 4 months of the year and hot 6 months of the year.  3 of those months are super hot.  I only like the hot/super hot months.  If im required anything more than shorts and flip flops to be warm outside its too cold for me.

Public schools are now canceled because of threat of snow and remain canceled even when all we get is rain, when temps get drop below single digits they will make schools delay 2 hours just incase water pipes burst.  

The keys have the perfect weather.  Manatee share my love for warm water. If it's not suitable bath water temps im not getting in.  I also feel that any air temps below 60 should be grounds for immediate hibernation.  That's Fahrenheit for you hosers! 

Our winters are too cold for my sagos, ive had a few sagos survive our winters but now i bring them inside. My windmills and dwarf palmettos do just fine in our climate.

Just 4 hrs east of me in Charleston the sagos grow 10x as fast and they do not brown in winter unless they are super exposed to an unusually hard frost. Palmetto palm trees also grow naturally there where as up here a hard winter will kill them.  

The only coconuts i have in my yard are the ones my kid has picked up kayaking in the keys and put under our trees to make it look like they fell, he says he wants them there to remind him of the keys.  Smart kid.  The hatred of winter runs in our blood. My dad is a transplant from butler/slippery rock pa(45 min north if pitt)  

I want to rename my boat F@@K Winter. The little lady wants to name it The Salty Swallow.  She doesnt mind winter.

I love Florida all year long. 
    With a kid in school i cant enjoy Florida winters. Winter is my slow season. Once he graduates the plan is to trailer a boat south every winter and find a shop that will let me work part time a few days a week.  Once he graduates college the plan is to not work any during the winter and bounce from anchorage to anchorage.

I survive the winters here just to leave each June for the islands.  Seems so backwards.  By Halloween i want be enjoying clear water.  Im a jerk who likes to sit on my boat, holding a fishing rod waiting on a jerk.  
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a good think we all don't want warm weather. We have 900 people a week moving into Fl right now. Not sure anymore where they are all going to fit but FL don't look like my FL anymore. But, I do enjoy FL all year long, would rather sweat than shiver any day and not to fond of snow unless it's a postcard. I lived in ND as a kid for a few years....did snowmobiling, had a horse and roamed the wheat fields in the middle of absolutely no where. Enjoy it? Yep,,,,want to work or live there and deal with it....no way. We all get used to how we grew up I suppose....would like to visit some snow but don't have the clothes and stuff for it so will hang here! 
    edited September 2019
    St. Augustine is pretty "cold" in the winter (compared to Miami) but there are some great restaurants. There used to be an amazing restaurant on the St. John River (did I spell that right?) called Salt Water Cowboys. I had blackened alligator with jumbalya ( pretty sure I DID spell that wrong) there a few times it was amazing. There was a deck around the restaurant. A guy (pretty drunk) told a waiter he thought he'd jump-in to cool down. The waiter said "wait a minute 'till I get some of my buddies and a camera - you won't last 10 minutes". LOL
    @shawnmjr agree it is a great plan.....my comment was a bit "tongue in cheek" because when I visited St. Augustine a couple of times in February it might have been 68  degrees there but "back home" it was -35 Ha ha. Best wishes on your move, St. Augustine/Jacksonville is a beautiful area!
    edited September 2019
    Im not too sure the winters in Savannah and Jacksonville are that far apart, isn't it less than 100 miles apart where as Miami is another 10 hrs!  Georgia has only 100 miles of coast, blink on I 95 and you might miss the entire state!
  • boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
    Well we are pulling out in 2-3 weeks here in Pittsburgh. Not that the weather will be that bad but my son is getting married in October and we will be very busy so have to pull early. Will winterize and pull everything out that won't stay in during storage then pull the swim platform. I have a soft spot and plan to re-core it over the winter.
    rasbury said:
    It's a good think we all don't want warm weather. We have 900 people a week moving into Fl right now. Not sure anymore where they are all going to fit but FL don't look like my FL anymore. But, I do enjoy FL all year long, would rather sweat than shiver any day and not to fond of snow unless it's a postcard. I lived in ND as a kid for a few years....did snowmobiling, had a horse and roamed the wheat fields in the middle of absolutely no where. Enjoy it? Yep,,,,want to work or live there and deal with it....no way. We all get used to how we grew up I suppose....would like to visit some snow but don't have the clothes and stuff for it so will hang here! 
    Have to say, I'm loving the keys, perm. moved here August 5th, today is my first day since then that I took the entire day off (work needed a lot of attention)... sitting on the boat right now with a steak grilling watching the sunset. Nothing like palm trees, steak and a sunset. Hasn't hit me yet that there is no winterization. 
    shawnmjr said:
    rasbury said:
    I will most likely be moving there in about 2-3 years as soon as our daughter graduates. Looking around Jacksonville Beach or St Augustine area. 
    I stopped over in St. Augustine on the way down here... looked like a nice place. Snapped this picture from the top of the lighthouse when my friend took me on a tour of it. 

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currents rip thru there...there is a marina just inside the jetty that is really cool...can't think of the name of it..
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j3ff  sounds like you are settled in, you missed the hurricane thankfully.  Not many get an opportunity presented to you. I'm sure you are glad you took it. Especially this winter.
    Boat Name : 

randy56 said:
    j3ff  sounds like you are settled in, you missed the hurricane thankfully.  Not many get an opportunity presented to you. I'm sure you are glad you took it. Especially this winter.
    For sure.. now to get the boat actually working. It's on the last day of it's warranty on the motor today and it started stalling.. sigh.  Error is:

So the winter list is:
    - get the drive fixed
    - find the wet carpet leak
    - figure out what this IAC thing is (just started today while idling at the dock)
    - bow pulpit repair

Ready to just call it quits to be honest!!