Kids and boats

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
I think I brought this up before but want to take the grandkids on the boat... Caleb turning 3 and average size/weight and Sophia is just one and a little spec- what can we get for these kids at least half way comfortable and safe? I'm just scared to death something might happen to those kids....

Comments

• mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    The modern life jackets for kids are awesome. Just size them correctly. We had Mustang life jackets for our kids. Crotch strap, neck floater all built in plus lotsa grab handles. Great for getting them on & off the boat. Safer than any of the adult jackets.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep @rasbury. What @mattie said. Our daughter was on a boat at 14 months. And she was tiny. The PFD's won't be cheap but they'll never go to waste. Our daughters got passed on through a bunch of friends and relatives through the years. Straps, grab handles  etc. all built in.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks...will check out mustang vests...thx
  • goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    Agree with above. We also have a rule that the Pfd is always on unless they are in the cabin with us but then again we are always over cautious with the grand chillins when they are on our watch 
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the 3 year old will be fine.  The 1 year old might not like any pfd you make her wear...it's just the way it is. :)
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps. No matter how fussy our daughter was, as soon as we strapped the PFD on she calmed down.  I suspect maybe she liked the warm huggy feeling and also knew the feeling of the waves would lull her to sleep. Never went out on rough days.
    Of course, this is the same kid we often took on 50 mile plus snowmobile rides at 10 months old at -15 F. Had a special built helmet and cradled in my arms across the high gas tank of my old Polaris Touring. Kid grew up confident and independent. 

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    For toddlers i like the pdf called a puddle jumper. Its coast guard approved for all but pwc.  It goes around their waist like an old school ski belt and also attaches to arms like swimmer floats.  If the kid falls in the water they are able to maneuver better than a regular life jacket to stand back up or float around to their back.   Even on the boat it's more comfortable than any regular life jacket as its movement hindrances are minimal.  My son and neice have both grown up on boats and in the lake, by far the best life jacket we have ever found.  My son will be 12 in April so he's now an adult small.

Post edited by PickleRick on
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @PickleRick - that style of puddle jumper is for > 30lbs.  My daughter will be able to use that next season.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My daughter has been on the boat since she was 5 months old. She is now 4 1/2. She loves the boat and she loves the water. She has a puddle jumper and that is all she uses when in the water. She does not wear a life jacket while on board, but my wife is under close watch. We have a 280EC, so the gunnels are high and it would take a lot for her to jump overboard. As soon as she crosses onto the swim platform, she knows that the life jacket must go on.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Our state law requires all persons under 18 to have on a life jacket (not sure at anchor, i do know under way for sure) while on the boat.  I also make an exception if my kid is in the cabin but when he's down there it has to be at the door step in case he needs it quickly.   This law also applies to kayaks/canoes, not sure about SUPs.  Adults can have life vest in reaching distance in any pwc or boat, all passages regardless of age must have on pdf while on jetskis

Thanks for the great info...will get to work checking these options out. I want them to. Experience and enjoy boating, just want too do it safely.
    Just keep the sharpie away from the kids