Options

AC in the cockpit

Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
anyone added or considered adding a separate AC unit for the cockpit?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,538 mod
    Mine has an AC outlet in the aft cabin ... many times have I thought about routing a Y-valve to the cockpit.  But a second AC unit?  Hard to justify.  Too much storage space lost on a boat used for cruising.  Maybe if you only use the boat as a day boat.

Better option:  crank the AC in the cabin, and use a portable fan to move cool air up into the cockpit.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be easy to do on a 342, so much storage under the seats that you could add it opposite the helm and run water up from the existing ac pump. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the mermid units any good? The reverse cycle 5200 btu draws 5.5 so that's about 10 amps at start up iirc.  Im not sure how big your cockpit is.  The 6500 btu is about the same rating. Maybe undersized for your application?
  • Options
    I could easily use the non-AC power inlet and just limit other high draw usage items (range, microwave, hot water). Would easily fit under the port seating area. Or even the aft cockpit seating area.  

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    Yes, I had given it thought before.  I even have an open seacock (from raw water washdown).  The 420 has one in its cockpit.  I figure though it would be tough to keep it cold during day and nighttime is usually fine anyhow.  You'd be better putting money in a hardtop, because it makes a huge difference helping heat from radiating in. Those dark canvas tops draw in the heat.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Hard top would be a nice adder. Be a total custom job for a 342 though. Could only imagine the cost!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AC in the cockpit is made easier by "new" style marine AC units that allow the separation of the compressor from other components. This allows the installer to fit the AC into irregular shaped enclosures. Had we kept our 2014 EC 360 putting AC in the cockpit area was going to be my next modification. Having a hard top already installed would have made that more efficient.