Rinker has screwed over 270 owners long enough RE:wet carpet issues.

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in Generator Discussions
Sorry Rinker, I'm calling you out. I have never owned another boat that had an issue when it rains. 

Yes it's an old boat, but so was my 1990's cruisers yacht.. and that boat, just like my bayliner, and the one before that had no issues with water leaking through windows or bow rails, etc.. currently have another 1986 cruisers yacht sitting in my parents yard, thing is old as it gets...but guess what, no leaks in the cuddy at all! 

Just had enough of chasing this leak. 

Post edited by J3ff on

Comments

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    J3ff said:
    @J3ff I am a volunteer moderator of the forum. I do not work for Rinker Boats nor do I get paid for being a moderator. Have you contacted Rinker directly? Post the year of your boat and maybe @Alswagg can help you out. Sorry your having this issue. Best of luck bro. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rail mounts, cleats, windshield mounts, radar arch are the most common leaks. Rinker did not use enough sealant. Butyl tape would have been better. 
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X2 on what handy said and port window and shore power hook up. Do you have soft spot in front of windshield? My 270 was an 02 think yours is an 05. It is frustrating to find the leak.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Many boat manufactures didnt use enough or proper sealant on rails, windors, etc.  Its not just rinker, not just power boats.  So long as its repaired before any wood core starts to rot you'll be good to go.  

Butyl tape seems to outlast even 5200 and it can be removed without as much cursing and damage to surfaces. 5200 can be applied below the water line while it's under water where butyl tape requires a little prep work and beveling whenever possible.   5200 will literally glue wet dirt to nearly any surface possible and stays flexible. It's not a marine sealant, it's and industrial sealant.  Both stay flexible, just seems butyl will stay flexible for the rest of our natural lives.  

Id rather deal with a few leaky fittings topside than the blistered gel coat hulls other boat manufactures are known for.  

Many wellcraft boats were known for years to be able to see patches of wood in stingers from inside the engine hatch.  They were not the only ones to get greedy or lazy with fiberglass work.  Rinker isn't the best of the best, their price doesn''t reflect best in the industry.  Other than a few design errors like a swim platform hanging too low, which was caught, upgraded and taken care of in later production boats they are a good upper middle tier boat.  Seems year for year they constantly put out a better layed out boat foot for foot than searay at a better price and resell value is near equal to that of a searay.  No idea why people think searay and carver have always made best boats on earth when both had the 24 to 26 ft 8ft wide fly bridge boats in the 70s that caused nausea just watching the rocking from shore.  Bayliner was shamed for the exact same production boats but searay and carver got a pass.  Maybe the carver/searay owners had more money and could afford better covered slips where as more bayliners owners had to trailer and were not able to enjoy cocktails in the protected marina, instead got seasick rocking at anchor all weekend. 

I find the gel coat, interior and fiberglass work of rinker to be among top quality of production boats ive been in.  Good bones means a long life. I look in my engine hatch it's solid and well finished . The motor mounts are well over built.  The sound dampening from hatch to cabin is top notch.  They payed attention to many details other manufactures never thought of.

Im speaking of the trailerable cabin cruisers.   Even when bayliner was bottom of the bottom they still sold some nicely set up motor yachts. 

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a friend with a Pursuit that leaked through his windows. He had to pull the portals, repair and completely seal again to fix them. It was not easy.

Anyhow, just saying this isn't just a Rinker issue.

My 260 never had issues ... so not sure if we can say this is a generic issue.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought I finally had this stupid leak fixed...it was dry all summer...but recently we have some big rains and when I went to the boat this past weekend the carpet was wet.

I'm equally as frustrated.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    Here is an easy way to find leaks. The RV manufactures use this as well. Take a carpet drying fan, you can rent one, put it in the cabin door and seal around with plastic to pressurize the cabin. Block off any passage ways to the engine bay if possible. Go outside with a bottle of spray soap and spray around everything. 
    skennelly said:
    I thought I finally had this stupid leak fixed...it was dry all summer...but recently we have some big rains and when I went to the boat this past weekend the carpet was wet.

I'm equally as frustrated.
    How are you drying the carpet out after every rain? 

I've been using this to try and combat the problem, but it can only reach the carpet... not wherever it's coming from.. 
    https://www.amazon.com/CONIE-Electric-Cooling-Circulator-Cigarette/dp/B07RKWLY5D/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=squirrel+cage+fan+12v&qid=1570665127&sr=8-9

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought I had my leak solved..I'm looking at the speaker by the map storage Saturday...
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before i got my leak fixed, I used a small shop vac to suck up the excess water. Then put damp rid bag's in there, as well as a box fan. Kept the cockpit door open. When it was not raining. 

@J3ff I feel your pain. You will win the water leak battle. Stay after it. 
    Boat Name : 

Here is an easy way to find leaks. The RV manufactures use this as well. Take a carpet drying fan, you can rent one, put it in the cabin door and seal around with plastic to pressurize the cabin. Block off any passage ways to the engine bay if possible. Go outside with a bottle of spray soap and spray around everything. 
    Good idea, I guess you can also use a shop vac in reverse to blow air, and then just put the hose in through one of the portals and seal the openings around with plastic sheet. It might be easier (less space to have to seal with plastic), plus a shop vac is normally something anyone has.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine is a 2002 270  no leaks at all dry as a bone along with the bildge 
    A shop vac wont provide the volume of air needed. 
    Borrow a landscapers br700 or redmax 8500.  900 plus cfm of air!  Or rent the carpet fan from a local rental store.  An old squirrel fan from an HVAC system will also work

Leaf blower lol
    A shop vac wont provide the volume of air needed. 

What are you looking for a 2" gap in the fiberglass?

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Yeah a leaf blower is a good idea too!

"Boat + Water = Fun"

So I actually attempted the leaf blower route 2 or so weeks ago... I will tell you this, it is much harder than it sounds! The door going down to the berth is not flat and 90 degree turns, will take any advice that's out there, tried it two days in a row and ended in a frustrating mess... had problems with the tape not holding in various manners, ended up with it seperating from the frame in random places, even with the blower on low. Also be sure to use an electric one if you try...dont need all those 2stroke fumes downstairs.. 
    edited October 2019
    Yeah get a carpet fan
    edited October 2019
    Dont put the blower inside your cabin. The Redmax and stihl blowers i mentioned have a long reach.  Would be best to have a partner operating the blower and bow into the wind.  All fumes go aft.  Aft 2 cycle fumes haven't killed too many people.  

I have the advantage of my boat sitting on a trailer unless im on the water.  

As for tape.  Old tape or cheap painters tape sticks to nothing but its self.  

Little blowers need big throttle to make cfm

The blowers i referenced are big boy, push brick across the pavement blowers. 

If it were only that easy. 
  • goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    Rinker is not the only boat that has water intrusion issues. Try going on the Sea Ray Club forum and search water leaks. You will think your issues are nothing. Lack of sealant on assembly, rotted decks etc. Basicly if it sits in water it will take on water. Try to work at each issue and be patient or it will drive you crazy until you sell. 
    J3ff said:
    So I actually attempted the leaf blower route 2 or so weeks ago... I will tell you this, it is much harder than it sounds! The door going down to the berth is not flat and 90 degree turns, will take any advice that's out there, tried it two days in a row and ended in a frustrating mess... had problems with the tape not holding in various manners, ended up with it seperating from the frame in random places, even with the blower on low. Also be sure to use an electric one if you try...dont need all those 2stroke fumes downstairs.. 

Go through the skylight portal on the deck, it will be easier to seal. Use duct tape.

"Boat + Water = Fun"