Has anyone been to Italy? Advice? Tips?

Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
The admiral and I are heading to Italy July 1 and we are Going to Naples, Sardinia, and Sicily. There is incredible clear water and looks like great boating as well. Anyone been??

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The admiral and I did Venice, Florence and Rome a few years ago so I can’t give tips on your destinations but I can on Italy overall. By the way we absolutely loved Venice and we really liked Rome. 

First book your tours early. In our case we pre paid for the Vatican and paid the “skip the line” fee avoiding hours in line had we shown up the day of. In Florence we didn’t pre book and I paid 60 euro each to avoid 4 hours in line day of where for the Vatican it cost very little when pre paying.

second the trains are awesome. Clean, easy, great wifi, cheap. Pre book that too. It’s kinda weird because you stand around the station and then 15 min before departure they post your track and you head on over. Seemed odd the first time but it’s awesome.

enjoy the trip!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes they have the fast trains and the local ghetto trains. 
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Been a few times up in the Milan/Lake Majore area so north of where you'll be.  In Europe the trains are very good overall and better than here (at least East coast Amtrak). August is their main holiday period so you'll be seeing others from other places crowding you. Not sure if you've done much overseas travel or not and if not a few other pointers are key - PM if you want more info, ignore if a seasoned traveler!

@Liberty44140 - they do that at Penn Station in NYC - only give you platform number 10 minutes or so beforehand for many of the trains.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

icoultha said:
    Been a few times up in the Milan/Lake Majore area so north of where you'll be.  In Europe the trains are very good overall and better than here (at least East coast Amtrak). August is their main holiday period so you'll be seeing others from other places crowding you. Not sure if you've done much overseas travel or not and if not a few other pointers are key - PM if you want more info, ignore if a seasoned traveler!

@Liberty44140 - they do that at Penn Station in NYC - only give you platform number 10 minutes or so beforehand for many of the trains.
    Thanks! We are renting a car both in Sardinia and Sicily. Taking puddle jumpers to get to those 2 islands as well. 
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    My daughter had her honeymoon there earlier this year.  They loved it.  They were on a tour that did 4 cities in 8 days.  I don't think they got to explore much on their own.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went to Orlando a couple of times...
  • earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mention you know Amanda Knox there...

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume you'll go to Pompeii?  That's definitely worth a visit while in Naples. The Amalfi coast, you can take water taxi/boats to the islands ... that should be fun.

Sicily, look for Greek ruins.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    are you driving the RV  there ?
    Enough jokes please
    MarkB said:

I assume you'll go to Pompeii?  That's definitely worth a visit while in Naples. The Amalfi coast, you can take water taxi/boats to the islands ... that should be fun.

Sicily, look for Greek ruins.

Of course, Staying in Sorento. Capri island, Amalfi coast. Then fly over to Sardinia for 5 days. Then Sicily. 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GMSLITHO said:
    are you driving the RV  there ?
    He put it on a boat a month ago so it will arrive on time. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    A diesel at that....

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/