Battery Recommendations

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
In need of a new house battery. Current battery (came with boat) is a West Marine (WM) Model 15020191 which is a Group 27, Dual-Purpose, Lead Acid Flooded, 650 CCA, 800 MCA, 150 RM. (Current price is $179.99.)

Before anyone suggests going to Gel, AG, etc., please note I would love to if money was no object, but my two starting batteries are in great shape, and since I have a Progressive Dynamics PD2130 charger -- you cannot mix and match battery types. It's all or nothing when you profile the charger. So, instead of having to spend $700+ for three new high tech batteries, I'm opting to spend less to go with another legacy LA and use the savings on other projects.

Now, since I can go with either Group 27 or 31 -- what brand/size do you all recommend for a good deep cycle LA battery?

Looking at the West Marine Deep Cycle choices...

The Group 27 has 575 CCA, 705 MCA, 175 RM. $199.99
The Group 31 has 650 CCA, 800 MCA, 185 RM. $279.99

Or do I just get another, same model Dual-Purpose for $179.99?

Any other options good out there?

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a house battery, I would avoid the dual-purpose ones. Just my .02. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would go with a Deka Group31 deep cycle lead acid battery for the house. They are made in the USA and are nice batteries. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    I would go with a Deka Group31 deep cycle lead acid battery for the house. They are made in the USA and are nice batteries. 
    Thanks Greg. Just reviewed the specs on the Deka Marine Master Group 31 - 650 CCA, 800 MCA, 190 RM - and only $142.00 at Lowe's. 

Sooooo - better specs as the West Marine but $130 cheaper. Thanks for the tip! 
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree, group 31 lead acid. I went back to all traditional batteries this year.

Previous owner had really expensive 31 AGM's (house & dual purpose) installed. Dealer told me most of the batt failures they run into were AGM's vs battery charging systems. Something doesn't work quite right long term.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I've used the Everstart Maxx in the past with very good success as well.  You might want to check out there specs for comparison.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Dream_Inn said:
    I've used the Everstart Maxx in the past with very good success as well.  You might want to check out there specs for comparison.
    Quick research shows it's a Wal-Mart branded Exide/Delphi battery. Specs and price are decent. I'll put it on the list for more research.

Nice thing about winter layup, no rush to purchase :smile:  

Thanks!
    @mattie - In talking with Progressive Dynamics about my charger, that's exactly what they said. People do not use the correct charger or charging mode and screw them up and waste lots of dollars.

Main reason I'm sticking with LA.
    TonyG13 said:
    @mattie - In talking with Progressive Dynamics about my charger, that's exactly what they said. People do not use the correct charger or charging mode and screw them up and waste lots of dollars.

Main reason I'm sticking with LA.

I completely agree.  If you don't have the correct chargers for the batteries you are using, you will not get the performance that is spec'd.  

This is the first time that I went all out and got 2 starting AGM and 2 AGM TPPL house batteries (Northstar from WM).  I had purchased a charger that is spec'd to charge these batteries and so far I have nothing but excellent results.  Starting batteries, well, can't judge much there except they start the engine just fine.  But, I really use the heck out of house batteries and I am on the hook a lot.  So, I am fine using my generator, but like to cycle my batteries down to almost 50% (12.2V) each time.  I can go a full 12 hours with 2 fridges running and normal use of radio and whatever else throughout the day.

Now, on that note, I used to use the Walmart batteries with great success too.  They also lasted me 5-6 years and if I turned the fridges down at night, it was no problem getting 8-10 hours before having to start genny.  It all depends on your needs and use.

You are doing it correct in that you will install new batteries fresh in the spring after doing research thru winter.  I'll add that the Walmart 2 year warranty is really nice as well if there are any issues at all.  I had an issue with one of my batteries at the beginning of the 2nd spring and took both batteries back.  I explained they were connected in parallel and need to be the same age, they gave me 2 new ones.  Good luck!

• mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I've got the PD2130 charger from Progressive Dynamics as well. Very clear instructions on specific settings for batt type. Imagine this isn't getting addressed by most boat owners.

Tech at the dealership figured most of the failures were from over charging GEL & AGM's. End up junk after a season or two. From the PD manual it shows the float/storage should only be 12.8V for GEL & AGM.

Lead-Acid Batteries 

BOOST = 14.4 V, NORMAL = 13.9 V, STORAGE = 13.3 V

~~~~~~~~

GEL-CELL & AGM Batteries

BOOST = 13.9 V, NORMAL = 13.3 V, STORAGE = 12.8 V

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
    Dream_Inn said:

...the Walmart 2 year warranty is really nice as well if there are any issues at all.
    That's the one con about the Deka's, they only have a 12 month warranty.
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn, when you say you will drop batteries down to 12.2V, is that measured under load, or do you shut stuff off, wait a bit and then measure?
    Spyderweb said:
    @Dream_Inn, when you say you will drop batteries down to 12.2V, is that measured under load, or do you shut stuff off, wait a bit and then measure?

It is typically when not on load.  I try to look at it when the fridges have kicked off.

• andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I believe WestMarine batteries are made by East Penn manufacturing, who use the Deka brand. They make batteries for dozens of vendors who slap their own brands on them. I just bought a group 34 AGM starting battery for $229, not a sale price but I'll get a refund of the difference if they go on sale for Black Friday. The old battery lasted 9 years but was getting tired. $18 trade in value for the core charge. I agree with the previous comment that dual purpose are OK, but it's best to have specialized batteries for each purpose.
    Andy
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    I have Deka's on my boat, and I can definitely vouch for them being a GREAT battery.  I have dual's with a Perko switch, and isolator.  I have an elaborate sound system, that regularly puts those batteries to the test.  They have survived 3 seasons, and are still performing flawlessly. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Duracell AGM Marine from Sam's are relabeled Deka's: I run two Group 31's on my 280: one for starting and one for house.
  • dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    Be sure to check the size of your battery trays/holder. Larger batteries may require larger trays/holder.
    dropout said:
    Be sure to check the size of your battery trays/holder. Larger batteries may require larger trays/holder.
    Yup! Thanks. Already checked that. Should be fine going from 29 to 31 for the house. (But I noticed when I need to change out my starting batteries, I'm stuck with Group 24 sizing due to the spacing.)