How to turn a 242 into a fishing boat, add handrails and 9.9hp kicker to the swim platform

I figured it was my turn to contribute to the forum, I have found a lot of useful information on here but have found a niche that I thought I could contribute too.I moved from the interior of BC to the West Coast of Vancouver Island some time ago and traded my ski boat for an ocean cruiser. It took many months to determine what size, style etc of a boat to purchase and settled on a used 242 Rinker. We chose to buy a cruiser for overnights and comfort for entertaining friends for daily outings but we also knew we wanted to set it up for some serious salmon fishing but there was not a ton of examples to go from.It took a couple of years to design, build and of course save to get to the final product. The swim grid was essential to make this into a decent dual purpose cruise/fishing boat. A lot of time looking, searching, talking to people and this is what I came up with, all custom built by a local fab shop.

2001 Rinker 242

Comments

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the way it doesn't get it the way of the normal use of the 242. Can still hang on the swim platform and use the ladder. The down riggers came out awesome really look like they belong there. Some people might not now how much time and work go in to fabrication like that. Great jod!!
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those rigger mounts are epic!  Well done!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Everything looks impressive but i gotta ask...wheres the yeti?  You can't catch fish without the yeti
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Very creative and great workmanship. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice for sure. Reminds me of a pic (maybe it was on here) of a 270 without radar arch that someone had custom fabbed an entire upper structure with semi hardtop, rocket launcher rod holders etc.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW, very nice. 
    2008 330EC
  • prgrod01prgrod01 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    Thanks. I can tell you there were many hours planning and mocking things up to make sure it was money well spent. My talents ended at the wood mock ups, the local fabricator did an great job making things look great. But I stressed to them I needed to keep the back platform functioning and keep the trip hazards to a minimum.

2001 Rinker 242
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Very impressive!  More than one way to skin a cat!  & that is definitely a great way to make a cruiser work fantastic for fishing!  Thanks for the great pictures.  Sure took a lot of time and thought to get it as nice as that.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job. What fish do you catch?
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's some innovative thinking.  Thanks for sharing.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kind of like the railing even if not to fish from- my wife is always nervous about tripping or falling at the docking getting on and off the platform and would make me less nervous with kids hanging out back there and for me after a couple of cocktails! What is that first picture, don'e understand what that is? Very nice job done for sure! If you had a dingy with a motor and your boat crapped out, you could always mount the dingy motor there and keep on truckin which would be another use even not as a fishing boat....great job!
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury the in 1st pic the black square is the base to a down rigger, in just slips on the base.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    I know zip about that type of fishing...
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury very similar to ocean trolling with jet divers but with a downrigger you're usually much deeper, easily 60 to 100 feet +
    I've installed a downrigger mount on my 270 for Lake Trout fishing.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    Most of our lakes and rivers average probably about 6 ft deep unless maintained and then they could be maybe 14 feet. Most places I go with my boat if it sinks I can stand on top of it.even offshore in Central Florida on the west coast you probably have to go out 100 miles  get into 50 feet of water and on the East coast it's about 50 to get to the gulf stream which gets closer to the coast as you go south. Probably not exact numbers but you get the point!
  • prgrod01prgrod01 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    We fish for salmon, targeting the prized Chinook salmon with a good mix of Coho. We fish up and down the coast, trailering our boat to the local marina's, and depending on what area of the coast, and time of year we use the Scotty down riggers to go down 30-90ft, but have to go down to 200ft at times.

The hand rails were the first thing we added and would recommend them to anyone, fishing or not, they just give you so much more comfort at the dock boarding, but particularly while on the water.
    2001 Rinker 242