Simpson Lawrence Windless

The Windless on my 2004 Rinker 342 failed me this past season. It is the simpson lawrence horizon 900 model. The clutch on the electric motor has failed and is not replaceable. I have sent motor out to 2 different electric motor shop who both told me the parts are no longer available. I ve contacted Lewmar and the are saying that the Pro Series 700/1000 is direct replacement. 
Has anyone out there with the Rinker 342 had to replace there windless???? Looking online there seems like there has been a lot of issues with that windless . Unless my measurements are wrong, my boat has 3/8 chain with 3/4 rope. I m not seeing any one of those windless able to accept that size chain or rope. Is the chain and rope too big for this size boat? It is what Rinker put on the boat new.
Just wondering if anyone else has run into this issue.

Thanks, Dave

Comments

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the horizon 600 on mine.  I went to all chain, but I want to say it was 3/8 and 1/2 when I had chain/rope.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    I had the 600 and replaced with Pro 1000 - straight swap on our FV310.  I also replaced the rode at the same time and so matched the gypsy - well, asked Lewmar to - to the rode. I went with the  516 gypsy for 5/8” 8 plait rope and G4 5/16” ISO G4 chain.

I found them very helpful in matching the right rode to gypsy.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• DaveGDaveG Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 700 and 1000 are drop ins. The 1000 needs a wiring upgrade though. The 600 was a good unit, but yours has to be 13+ years old and they live a tough life. 

The fun part is undoing the front berth to get access.  I added backing plates to the mounting bolts when I replaced mine. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Black_Diamond is that a backing plate for the windless or the anchor pulpit?
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    That one is for the anchor bracket. I used the same AL plates as backing for the windlass. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Thanks my anchor bracket moves around I will tackle this in the spring. 
    Mine was loose too. The front most bolt wallowed out the hole. I bought a 3/8” bronze bushing from Ace Hardware, oversize drilled the hole to fit the bushing and epoxied it in place. Underneath (posted pic) I put in that AL backing plate. The black stuff is epoxy putty to fill/level out where the backing plate went. At least on mine, the fiberglass has a step in it where that front bolt goes, was much thinner than where the two bolts go. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Yes have my fingers cross when I dismantle in the spring I can do the same thing. Will also remove the windless and maybe do some maintenance on it. Help a friend with his and was able to get oil on the bearing right by the motor and his works great now. 
  • rmfridayrmfriday Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    They are fixable, search for a post from the fall. It describes how to disassemble and the part # for the clutch bearing that often fails. 
    I will have a Horizon 600 for parts if any one needs anything. Plan on replacing in the spring 2020 with new windless. Only thing wrong with mine is motor and clutch bad.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaveG said:
    I will have a Horizon 600 for parts if any one needs anything. Plan on replacing in the spring 2020 with new windless. Only thing wrong with mine is motor and clutch bad.
    I am interested in your 600.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    edited December 2019
    DaveG said:
    Did you call Lewmar? When mine was dead they did an exchange program and got a well discounted new 1000.
    Post edited by Ian on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Al, you are correct with chain and rope size on boat, Thanks. Finally put door on shrink wrap and got on boat yesterday. I guess now it is time to order my Christmas present!!! 
    The 2 windless I ve been looking at are the Lewmar Pro Fish 1000,Lewmar Pro series 1000. Never has a windless with auto free fall, my last windless I had to run windless to let anchor rope out. What's better or is it just personal preference? Any thoughts???
    Free fall is the best part. A few seconds of down and out she goes. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Upgrading to the 1000 series was a consideration for me. Right up until you do the cost math of rewiring with 0 gage wire and the hassle of rewiring. Add a couple boat units of cost to the project. Like near $500.... or more. Just my .02. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    edited December 2019
    duplicate deleted

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • rmfridayrmfriday Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    i think you need #22 it is what will let your windless go down but not up.
    I replaced mine with one from amazon for around $20. I have a description of the repair somewhere on this forum. If you search for it you should be able to fix your windless and save some money.
    Good Luck!