Swim platforms

Anyone added swim platform to their Rinker? One for 240 from Swimplatforms.com will lap over my short existing short one. Total length 44.5".  They are pretty expensive especially with shipping across the country.  The extra room would be great. Probably not too good when working on out drive. Also don't think your boat can be picked up to drydock with the thing sticking out on rear. They say 70% people install them theirselves. Seems kinda scary drilling all those holes in your boat. The photo is one suppose to fit my boat.

Comments

• Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    I brought my boat to them in Phoenix,  as it's less than 2 hours from me. They had no mold I liked, so they made mine custom. It is 45" deep. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    There are few active guys on here who have extended platforms.  I had planned on one this winter until i started on the new fuel tank...there goes this year's platform budget. 

@willhound has one that is the envy of all other boaters at any marina.  

Another guy on here made his into a fishing platfrom complete with kicker motor and railing.  

Measure twice drill once.  Fiberglass is very forgiving and any holes drilled can easily be filled back in and painted over, as if they never existed. 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stever00 yes, it can be scary, but if I can install my own platform, anyone with moderate mechanical skills can. Absolutely the best addition we ever did to the boat. Keep in mind, with the overlap design the top holes into existing platform can be properly sealed, and he holes for the strut supports are going into one of the thickest parts of the hull and are again, sealed.
    I also looked at swimplatforms.com but with exchange (I'm in Canada) and shipping it just didn't make sense. If you are in the Eastern States it just might make sense to get it from one of the two Canadian companies. There is one in Quebec called SwimPlatform Ultra or the one I used in Ontario, http://www.yourswimplatforms.com/
    You'd have an advantage with exchange, not sure about getting it across the border.
    Here is a link to the discussion on my install that might give you some ideas.
    https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/8003/adding-swim-platform-to-fv270/p1
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    And here's a pic of the final result. The pull up handles actually did come out of the states at swimplatforms.com.

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Ricky and Julian transport stuff across the border all the time using Bubble's model train. It's greasy but duty free!
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭

2000 Captiva 232 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't imagine not having the platform..I hang out there...take a leak there.. . shower off there and most important getting the admiral on and off the boat!
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    We had a 4 foot platform from swimplatforms.com on our 1997 FV 280 and it was fine.  They used to take it out of the water with a fork lift at the stern.  It's nice having a dance floor on the back of the boat.  :)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Stever00Stever00 Member Posts: 145
    I believe the company here can make one less expensive. Not sure options and quality part. Bolting braces to the transom is pretty much cut and dried. My boat has a short  platform and after market one will mount on top.  There is a big radius and larger one on bottom of it. Its not like you can drill through and bolt. Are they screwed to existing platform with a stainless screw like lag bolt or wood screw? If so fiberglass must be stronger that i think for people to be able to stand on it without it pulling out. Ive never seen one installed over existing platform so concern may seem stupid. I know braces will hold most of the weight but still have to see to understand how it can .
    If you climb right into your engine compartment and can contort yourself like Houdini you might see that the existing platform is hollow and you can bolt and nut the top side. But I didn't bother because with where I wanted to bolt it the platform curves and would have been difficult. So I screwed through with long low angle thread flush screws. But most importantly the pilot holes were undersized and filled with 3M 5200 and as well there was another tube full spread all around the perimeter of the existing platform and all over in big s patterns. I'd bet it'll hold even without the screws. And yes, the vast majority of the weight is on the support struts. No worries.
    If you zoom in on this pic you can see where the screws are located. I've had 6 people on this platform without a single squeek.
    Are they only about 3 companies that build these? One in Canada, one in Arizona ans one in Seattle? Best i remember there no opening inside engine compartment to factory platform. I'll have to look again.
    That's not a swim platform, that's another deck!
    Stever00 said:
    Are they only about 3 companies that build these? One in Canada, one in Arizona ans one in Seattle? Best i remember there no opening inside engine compartment to factory platform. I'll have to look again.
    Two in Canada for sure, the one I used in the Toronto area and one out of Quebec. And I think one in the Vancouver but I think they do more fishing style stuff.
    IF there is an opening in your platform it will likely be just a slit a couple of inches high.
  • boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
    My swim platform has a soft spot so I plan to re-core over winter but did contact swimplatforms.com out of curiosity. An identical match to my factory one was about $2200 shipped to Pittsburgh. I have to send them my ladder for them to use. This is a 2006 Crownline 250CR. Platform is about 8' wide and about 30" deep but with the wrap around on the ends it's about 50" front to back. Didn't think that was a bad price.

This isn't my boat but here is what it looks like > https://images.app.goo.gl/TXQDJmPMhFs5h5t26

Willhound you are correct. I raised the hood and used good light. There is small space between the top and bottom of the factory platform. Didn't know this and was my big concern bolting platform to back. Looks like you would have to use hemostats or very long needle nose pliers to get nut started on a bolt. I watched bunch of You Tube videos. Frisco boater rebuilt his whole boat. When he got it all fixed right he sold it. Named his boat Overhauled. Guess this is true with all of us. Once you get it fixed it's no challenge anymore. Appreciate the help from all.
    Got new platform on. It from Swimplatforms.com in Arizona. This model had to have the rub rail radius ground to fit.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Looks great @Stever00
    2008 330EC
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!!! 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    The trick is not to grind too much off where it fits rub rail.  Your trying to match two radius at same time. The existing platform that this bolts to has a radius. If you grind too much off rub rail radius and push platform forward too far it will ride up on that radius. When you pull it back you may have too much ground off rail radius. If anyone puts one of these on a similar model boat I will be glad to give any info that might help. If I done another one I could do better.
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, don't know if you have kid's but they will love it. 
    Boat Name : 

• ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
    I added a factory platform on my 2001 232CC. Really is not hard other than bolting inside of the engine compartment. Drill 5 holes above waterline. I drove to the Rinker factory and picked it up (2 hour drive). Only too about 3 hours to install. The saw horses was the way to go.
    Swim plat form is a must...most docks in FL are floating so boarding is easy plus just hanging out on it is cool...