Options

Gel cracks under led bow lights.

246MCAN246MCAN Member Posts: 7
Hi , guys I'm new to the forum. My question is I have 2 cracks under the bow led lights  on both sides of boat about 6 inches down from them. The cracks are about 1 inch in length. I noticed them when I put it up for the season. I never saw anything like that before, it's weird that they are almost exactly in the same spot and same length. They feel like they are peeling away from hull, you can't see them but you can feel them when looking a ft away. Any idea's  thks mike.

Answers

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum.

Can you post some pictures for us to see?

2008 330EC
  • Options
    I'll  get some next week. The boat is in storage.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How old is the boat? Hairline cracks in gel coat are not uncommon with age. Likely from the original holes that were drilled to mount the light.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    It's  a 2014. The cracks are not typical gel cracks, I repaired those on my last boat. They almost look like it's pulling away from the hull . Example. paint peeling away. That's how I would describe it. I plan on getting some pics to post.
  • Options
    Hey guys, I took a couple of pics . They are posted on the activity section, my screw up..
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Huh, I've never even looked at the "Activity" section. Didn't know it existed. Some wider shots of he area in question may be helpful.
  • Options
    It looks like new , no other blemishes.
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it a trailer boat? From the location - might it be from the bow roller or bow stop on the trailer?

Prob nothing to worry about. Buff it, wax it, run it!

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    That actually  makes sense. I'm  the 2nd owner and the owners son in law drove them all around in it. When we tested  the boat  I felt he was a bit  cocky,  right up until he had difficulties loading the boat on trailer just after he said this boat is a breeze docking and loading.. thks
  • Options
    Our 246, I launched while the Admiral drove the truck/trailer to the lot. When we retrieved, She piloted up to the dock and I jumped off and went to get the truck while she did lazy circles. When I had the trailer in the water, she approached and I gave thumb signals, this way or that, and she always nailed it, regardless of wind or current. I'm mighty proud of her!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    , and she always nailed it, regardless of wind or current. I'm mighty proud of her!
    And you should always! That is great!  I always try to have the admiral involved with boat docking.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Despite having met in a bar where I was a bartender and she was sneaking in and underage and I could have gone to jail for serving her, we are still married and will celebrate 45 years being married in 2020. A good woman is hard to find and keeping one, even harder.