Aft Storage locker Wet

I noticed the carpet inside the aft (floor) storage bin wet. Its a 342. Removed all the cushions and inspecting the compartments around the storage bin (AC and shower sump) all was dry. I havent removed the floor (only screwed down) in the aft area. The floor storage aera seems to be in a fiberglass "tub" where there is no way water can get in without coming from the top which no sources of water are near. Sorry I dont have photo's of what I am talking about. I'm hoping someone famliar with the 342 has some insight of how the bin is getting wet. I shopvac atleast a half gallon out of the carpet.

Comments

• onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    Under this cushion is a storage locker/bin.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That can only come from shower sump, or AC valve/strainer or toilet valve/strainer IMO
    I'm having a hard time figuring out how the shower sump water is getting into the compartment. Any insight on how?
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I'm having a hard time figuring out how the shower sump water is getting into the compartment. Any insight on how?
    Your sump switch may not always work when it's full of water, so it will just flow over and out of the box (yes, it has a lid, but it will still flow out).  I've seen it happen on more than just my boat.  Those bilge pumps with the switches built in that are originally installed in the sumps are garbage.

I just realized that might not be what you are asking.  If the box is not in the compartment, then not sure how'd it'd leak into it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Dream_Inn the shower did back up a couple times this year and I have a new switch to change out. The shower sump is located next to the compartment/locker however its in a narrow channel all fiberglass that runs back to the mid bilge pump (about 4 feet away from the shower sump). It would have to fill that channel (probably 6 inches deep) which would be a whole lot of water. I didnt look if there was a small drain hole for that compartment/locker that it could leak into. Its all carpet inside the compartment/locker.
    Ugh! I jnow without pics, its difficult for you guys to trouble shot. I plan to go to the boat tomorrow and I will snap several pics.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it has a drain hole but the bilge would have to fill up very high to get water in that box
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, my shower sump needs a little coaching every spring or it will overflow and not pump, after the first time in the spring it works great all summer but we use it every weekend so it always has water in it. You may have a clog or restriction if this keeps happening making it overflow and get that carpet wet 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Put some white vinegar in the shower drain every so often to help dissolve soap and hair build up. Works great. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    raybo3 said:
    Put some white vinegar in the shower drain every so often to help dissolve soap and hair build up. Works great. 
    Or just put on the rubber gloves and clean it out.  That's what I do each spring.  The admiral's a nurse, so plenty of those blue gloves to go around :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the shower sump over flows, it fills the area where it is and when it is full enough the water will get into the storage area weeping thru the carpet towards the front. Been there. Several times. lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Dream_Inn said:
    raybo3 said:
    Or just put on the rubber gloves and clean it out.  That's what I do each spring.  The admiral's a nurse, so plenty of those blue gloves to go around :)
        It's easier to pour vinegar.......lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com