Another Forum Meeting

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
I had the pleasure to meet @randy56 and his Mrs. last summer while they were in Canada and we even got out on my 270 for a short trip and lunch. Returning from our stop in Nashville we realized we weren't far from Randy in Indiana so arranged to swing by that way and meet again. Covid 19 or no Covid 19. Our original plan was to spend a bit of time but with the current situation we're anxious to get home so just met up for a quick lunch stop. Randy very thoughtfully provided a goody bag with some snacks and even an entire container of Clorox wipes! Generous to a fault, those things are like gold right now. And most won't know it but Randy is a BBQ champ and pitmaster and presented me with a lovely BBQ recipe and technique book that he assured me will take my skills to the next level. So thanks to the Rinker forum for bringing us together and thanks again to Randy and Treva, your kindness and generosity are much appreciated. I feel badly that it was only a very short meet up but will make an effort to drop by again in future.
Cheers my friend!
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah you were supppsed to meet me when you were in Florida!!!!!!
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    It is confirmed, I had told Will that he needed a cowboy hat, and with all his experience in Nashville, and all h0nkey tonk participation he did and he would lookin good in it.   May we have a poll, vote yes, to cowboy hat. 

It is also confirmed, his wife is one of the nicest lady's you'll ever meet. I do not know how he persuaded her. Lucky man.  

If you are wondering which one is which. I'm the good looking one on the left. White hat. 

I like beer, sounds like a country song, but Will was kind enough to bring me some beer from Canada.  It was a short visit but time for him to get home, during this time of madness we are experiencing.
    Cheer's

Post edited by raybo3 on
    Boat Name : 

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Always great to hear about members meeting. Awesome picture of both of you. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah you were supppsed to meet me when you were in Florida!!!!!!
    Didn't know I was invited! 🙄
    Would love to meet up sometime Handy. We never really got down to your territory this time. There's always next year....
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I love to see posts like this!  Nothing better than meeting in person with other forum members!  Anyone that ever comes thru down 95 in my area, feel free to let me know!

Great picture!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6 beers and 6 knives and a friendship priceless 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    So this is the wonderful book @randy56 gifted me when we met last week. Have started into it and so far it is the best BBQ book I've seen. Gets right into the science of smoke and BBQ, rationale behind the techniques, equipment and recipes. And backs it all up with science. Every thing I've ever seen says bring your meat up to room temp before smoking. This book not only contradicts that, but proves why. Excellent. Thanks again bud.

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had read several BBQ books before running across Meat Head. Is you mouth watering as you read? What is the first cook ? He also has a forum in which I have been involved with. I think the first 30 days is a free. he is funny in his writing. and myth's   
    Boat Name : 

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a title like that, and your recommendation, I just ordered a copy!
    randy56 said:
    I had read several BBQ books before running across Meat Head. Is you mouth watering as you read? What is the first cook ? He also has a forum in which I have been involved with. I think the first 30 days is a free. he is funny in his writing. and myth's   
    I'm still on the early pages and although I peaked at some of the recipes I'm weird on that I like to read a book from front to back so haven't got to the recipes yet. Soon!
    LaRea said:
    With a title like that, and your recommendation, I just ordered a copy!
    I think you'll like it LaRea. Here's an excerpt that caught my eye:
    "Thwack it gently and focus on the thick end. Several focused whacks work better than one vicious spanking". 
    OK all you perverts! It was talking about flattening a chicken breast for even cooking!  :D
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm assuming that breast was not artificially enhanced or flavoured?
    Willhound said:
    So this is the wonderful book @randy56 gifted me when we met last week...
    I'm reading Meathead's book.  Last night I grilled some steaks using a couple of his methods ... wow!  I mean, I have grilled a LOT of steaks, and I'm pretty good at it.  But doing just two things differently made those steaks taste even better!  Thanks @randy56 !
    That's awesome @LaRea. I'm still in the preliminary stages of the book so haven't tried any recipes yet. Might have to cheat and skip ahead.
    It's just an obsessive/compulsive thing with me. I like to read a book, even magazines from front to back, not skipping back and forth. In this case I might make an exception since it's mostly info in front and recipe's in back.
    I didn't use a recipe ... just two tips that he discusses early in the book.  Go straight from fridge to grill, and use a reverse sear.  

I'm definitely NOT a pro grillmaster, and nobody would call me a chef at all.  But I've grilled many hundreds of steaks, so I'm no rookie either.  And I have a decent grill that I know pretty well (Weber Summit, had it six years).  If the first 10% of the book can already produce results like that, I'm excited to read the rest of the book!  
    I had to read that part twice too. And the no letting it sit after. 
  • trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    are they the ole timers = of the forum
    @LaRea (and anyone else interested) I follow the Traeger pellet grill website and they posted this. 
    http://enews.traegergrills.com/q/Ki4NCeQIxo-KI0n804-V7DjY_ocNd__k1TMn6df7hMUzRooQJF0JA9lzU
    Featuring one of my favourites. Danielle "DivaQ"  Bennett who is originally from right near our hometown in Barrie Ontario but now lives in Winter Haven Florida. 
    One if the topics to be covered is reverse sear. Even though being done on a Traeger I'm sure some of the tips will apply for any grill.