Water Pump replacement instructions for a 1986 V170 Alpha 1

TimSImpsonTimSImpson Member Posts: 11
PLease if anybody has any tips or instructions

Comments

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    which pump?

the engine circulation pump (belt driven) or the sea pump (outdrive's lower unit)?
  • TimSImpsonTimSImpson Member Posts: 11
    Lower unit impellar
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

alpha 1 is in the lower unit.  A tip, well, make it a 2-person job.  You will need to remove the lower unit (yes, you will need to change the gear lube as well), it can be a bit tough putting back on.  There is a seal that goes on the upper shaft and when you reinstall the drive, you have to make sure to put it on without bumping it.  If you do, you may not have a good seal and then leak lube.  (I've been there done that many years ago - this was the first thing I did on my first boat).

Take a look at this website: http://www.mercstuff.com/howdoi.htm

In the water pump pic/section in this drawing, the seal I'm talking about is labled "a" at step 2.  http://www.mercstuff.com/waterpumpinst.htm  This should help you out a bit.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Dream_Inn said:

alpha 1 is in the lower unit.  A tip, well, make it a 2-person job.  You will need to remove the lower unit (yes, you will need to change the gear lube as well), it can be a bit tough putting back on.  There is a seal that goes on the upper shaft and when you reinstall the drive, you have to make sure to put it on without bumping it.  If you do, you may not have a good seal and then leak lube.  (I've been there done that many years ago - this was the first thing I did on my first boat).

Take a look at this website: http://www.mercstuff.com/howdoi.htm

In the water pump pic/section in this drawing, the seal I'm talking about is labled "a" at step 2.  http://www.mercstuff.com/waterpumpinst.htm  This should help you out a bit.

he already said he had an alpha, but there are still two water pumps on that boat.. one gets the coolant to the engine, the other circulates it.

Tim,
    depending on the brand purchased, instructions of varying help come with the kit.. I would recommend the iboats forums for detailed write up's and pictures... they are very good for this kind of thing.

it may be easier with an extra set of hands present, but it's not required.. personally, i prefer to work alone as i would rather spend my time applying to the task at hand rather than argue about how it's done. :-)
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect the 2-person job is to deal with the weight and the bulkyness of the drive.  I know that less a jack (the nice ones are the ones made to handle an outdrive $$$), the BIII is almost impossible to get back on alone, sure you can carry it once off, but heavy and bulky.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    I didn't have a problem with the alpha.. no.. let me rephrase that.. I only had a little trouble with the alpha, which is what his is.. i dunno if i'd be all about wrestling a bravo III by myself.. that is a different beast altogether- and fortunately doesn't have to come off near as often as it gets its drink primarily from elsewhere. :-)
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Isn't everything about doing this available on youtube? That's where I'd start. Then I'd head over to the  "Archives" on this site to see if my manual is listed. Then I'd be crossing my fingers about getting a 30y/o lower unit apart. That rarely happens where I'm from in the Gulf.  I think someone here called it percussive maintenance(?) and excessive penetrating oil for days on end.....but maybe you are living a more righteous life than me. :D

I know it's heavy and getting it apart and down may not be impossible but BD and DI are probably right about getting an Alpha1 back in and carefully lined up so you don't wreck a new seal if you slip. A friend that'll assist and do it your way is a good hedge against a 2nd attempt.

On the other hand, doing a B3 O/D is out of the question w/o a real lift/jack (see pic of my silent assistant). There's just too much going on to do a B3 like mine all alone.
    Good luck. Mike  ......oh yeah, and welcome to the forum.

Necessity is the mother of invention eh? Here's a homemade version made from an ATV/motorcycle lift/jack

...and another one for a Mercruiser drive

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Great ideas to make one Thanks
  • TimSImpsonTimSImpson Member Posts: 11
    Thanks everyone I did find it on you tube