Front motor mount lag bolts loose, stripped?!?!? *Newbie*

midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
Hi All, 

Just finished winterizing my boat and noticed that one of the motor mount lag bolts was loose and had worked itself out about two threads. I tightened it up and felt like it was stripped. The other front motor mount lag bolt was the same way. 

This leads me to a few important questions:

1. Does my boat have an all fiberglass transom? Or is it also made with wood?

I backed out both front motor mount lag bolts and did not see wood or sawdust on the ends. My proposed fix; drilling out slightly larger holes, using strong epoxy to permanently glue some HD concrete anchors in place to catch the lags? 

2. What is the best way to check for transom rot?

Many thanks for your replies. 

Midweste

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

Comments

• midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Thanks Al ! 

I'll give it a shot in the morning. 

Midweste 

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking some 5200 on the threads before you cram them in there is a good idea, too.. no sense on giving water a place to hide between layers of ply.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I wouldn't use 5200 on anything that might need to come out someday.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caulk would work much better. 5200 is a one-way trip. Good point Dream!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Really? I just took 5200 off of gel coat replacing skimmer on the pool... It seems anything less would react to heat or petroleum.. I trust you fellas, though.. I just didn't realize it was permanent.
    5200 is like death glue. It can peel the gelcoat right off..and more. At least 4000/4200 is removeable, still a mess to use.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod

Think of 5200 like red Loctite!

Mark

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Hi guys!

Thanks for all the help.

The bigger lags worked and I've used the 4200.

:D

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MW, Welcome to the site and congrats on the fix.

Heat slays 5200. Actually 5200 will yield with a heat gun and turn to silly putty just before it gets too hot on your gelcoat. It's not as permanent as epoxy nor as hard as liquid steel type adhesives.

Most guys are bedding fittings/lags with butyl tape anyway. Engine lags....I don't know if I'd want anymore than the top edge sealed anyway, with the threads getting a good direct bite on the stringer. Just sayin'.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • prgrod01prgrod01 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    Alswagg said:
    no need to drill out,  Locate some 1/2" Stainless steel lags,  These will usully tighten up fine.  Rinker used 3/8" lags.   The motor mount is set for up to 1/2" bolts.  Yes, the stringers and transom are pressure treated kiln dried multi ply wood.  Al  
    Old post but I'm doing a transom assembly replacement and have gotten many of my questions answered simply by searching this forum. One of my lag bolts was also rather loose and had a short lived panic attack about how much this find may cost... but @Alswagg to the rescue once again. Great forum, and thanks Al for all the input and advice.
    2001 Rinker 242
    My 342 engine mounts were stripped out too. Found by accident when removing the engines for other work. Redrilled oversize, epoxy filled, redrilled. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Thickened epoxy is your friend!