Route 66

Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone driven the entire Route 66 or any parts of it?? Anything interesting to see?? I’ve heard it’s a great drive. 

Comments

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I think in Chicago parts of the old 66 are inaccessible.

Some parts are no longer maintained and it's gravel/dirt road.

Ive never been but watched a documentary from the Vice tv channel called Abandoned.  They travel the U.S. and Canada visiting abandoned locations, islands, cities and route 66.  

If you're interested check it out. It's recent.  
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely some cool things to see going through Arizona on Route 66 B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    We've done bits and pieces during various road trips, but not the entire trip in one session. In Illinois, all but about 13 miles can be driven on the original path between Chicago and St. Louis. If you start in Chicago, you don't leave the route until you reach the southwest suburbs.

I think our favorite city on the original route is Santa Fe - and New Mexico in general.

We've used this site which has great turn-by-turn info: https://www.historic66.com/

If you start or end in Chicago, let me know and we'll give you the nickel tour :-)
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doing Route 66 - this is THE guide! :-)

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you boaters can meet me at some locations. Oh wait, you can’t leave the water! LMAO

@Lake_Bum. I may hit you up for a boat ride one day on Lake Powell
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I drove on it in Bloomington, IL. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Maybe you boaters can meet me at some locations. Oh wait, you can’t leave the water! LMAO

You could meet us at the marina, oh wait your stuck in traffic inside a car. HeII I do that every day going to work......... Bahahahahaha
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    raybo3 said:

You could meet us at the marina, oh wait your stuck in traffic inside a car. HeII I do that every day going to work......... Bahahahahaha
    Lie. You work night shift. Oh wait your stuck in traffic and can’t get to the marina. Babhahahahahah
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    The end/beginning of Route 66 is at the Santa Monica Pier in Santa Monica, CA. If you are on any part of the 60 miles of Foothill Boulevard in L.A. or San Bernardino Counties, you are on what was Route 66.
    Andy.

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like a bucket list trip for sure...what a simpler time in life that error must have been....
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    @Alswagg , I like your thinking! But if you want the split window, you’ll have to go with a ‘63.
    2008 330EC
    That split window was a cool looking car...older ones even better. Bet they all drove like crap!
    edited May 2020
    Nice, what year C3? I had a ‘77 . It drove like a Mac truck, LoL!

2008 330EC
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    Route 66 comes right through my city of Flagstaff, and sort of inter-twines with Interstate 40, but there is still plenty of the original around here.   

I was just a kid when I-40 was completed, and I remember all the little towns along 66 started to dry up when they were bypassed!  
    2000 Captiva 232 
    I had a burst Reynolds style trans am with a 400 in it....red black interior....layer I had a 96 z last year of that body style...had rear seats which was real rare on those cars...which I still had that..sold it to buy a bike
    I love the mid 70s/early 80s sting rays.  Those are amazing looking automobiles.  Had a chance to score one yards ago and turned it down.  Still regret it.
    Post some pics.  A 79 was the one i turned down. 
    Alswagg said:
    Aero , mine is an 80.  L82 with a 4 speed manual   Black leather interior 
    Nice, mine was auto, one of the reasons I got rid of it. Yours is even better with the L82!
    2008 330EC
    The mid late 70s up to the 90s was a dark era for low perfomance domestic made v8 engines.

The sting rays just looked intimidating

This coming from a guy who owned a 6.6 79 t.a.
    Vortec heads are known for 30 to 40 hp out of the box.  

I bet it's a nice improvement.  Still my favorite era vett despite the epa issues.