Options

Looking to buy a boat with bravo 2, anyting to look for?

PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
2001 bayliner 2859 cierra sitting in aluminum triaxle trialer.

4.2 VM diesel because better.  225 hp

6 gph around 22 23 knots

700 hrs

Comes wirh bow thruster, winlass, 200 ft chain.  

No ac, ill use portable this summer until i can add a diesel genset and probably 9000 btu ac this winter.  I already have a 10k gen , just need a liquid cooled motor to push it.  

Wasnt planning on buying right now but price is right and local. 

I realize dealer support is poor on this but parts support is good from vm. Plan on converting to mechanical injection pump(has electric controlled bosch) so it will be as easy to work on as an old 12v cummins.   I hope to find a way to access the the enfine diagnostics and data until then.  If i can access the ecu easily it will eliminate the need for mechanical injection.

Anyting to look for on the bravo 2? Steering play is one I've heard of.  I think this boat has all composite core so no stinger or transom rot to deal with.

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Thought Bayliners were famous for bad stringers...are you sure about them being composite?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on year, Bayliner hulls came out of the same moulds as SeaRay I beleive when both were owned by Brunswick Marine. My Dad has a mid 80s model and that thing is solid. They just went lower end from the mid line up.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Im not sure of cheaper model bayliners. The motor yachts, trophy and express models are built better fit and finish than your run of the mill bayliner.

Many boat companies got rid of wood stingers/transom going into the mid/late 90s.  

Composits and foam are the new norm.

Keep in mind grady boats, known as some of the best get you home on one piece strong off shore capable hulls have wood core.

I have rebuilt the transom and much more in my rinker.  

Im still not sure but i plan on asking to drill some test holes on the transom that i will fill back with 5200.  Motor mounts you can usually try to torque on the lag bolts.
    Post edited by PickleRick on
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is a VM diesel?
  • Options
    Mercrusier and Cummins had a joint venture diesel 4.2.  It was not cummins nor merc, it was a rebadged Italian/Belgian engine.  The qsb VM 4.2.  

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking “Very Mediocre”  :o
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    You are no loner allowed in this thread 😝😄
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    Good luck getting permission to drill holes in the transom!
  • Options
    I haven’t read much about those engines. Hard to believe that Cummins put their name on it. 
  • Options
    Sellers generally dont like it but i will be showing up with a drill and 1/4 inch drill bit regardless.  Drill near any transducers , trim tabs, next to the transom key hole etc. If that is good then most likely the motor mounts dont need to be drilled so long as the lag bolts are not stripped.    If i cant drill im negotiating price to cover cost of material if it is soggy.  

Put tape at about 1/2 inch up the bit so you dont go too deep. 

I will also do the knock knock test but my ear doesn't pick up well on it when the boat is wet. This boat has been on the trialer since at least fall so any rot should sound hollow.  I find a soggy hull still sounds solid to my untrained ear.

• Options
    Cummins isnt known for light weight nor high reving engines
  • Options
    Get a moisture meter or a surveyor 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I dont trust a moisture meter, too many false readings. I trust what my drill bit brings out.   Too many voids in lay up and I've seen rot so bad there is no wood left both would give false readings. My rinker had spots nearly 6x6 voids in areas of the transom.  Ive seen stingers with zero wood left except wet mulch in the bottom of the cavity. Also false readings and they may not sound different to a knock as these can be 3/8 of an inch thick and hollow from end to end thanks to rot.  For me, i need a solid area to knock on to compare to a void. 

I could do a survey but on a boat for 18k?   Im probably more thorough on the mechanical side than the average surveyor, especially on a diesel in my neck of the woods.  The motor i am looking at is direct injected and no glow plugs, 3 separate heads.  Im wondering how i do a compression test. So long as the temps are above about 30F ive found most di engines dont need glow plugs.  My tdi is an exception but it is a pump deuce motor which is a little less efficient.   

For me transom and stingers is an inconvenience and not a deal breaker. Many of you saw the rebuild process where i rebuilt my 1992 rinker.  It is negotiating leverage on price.  Granted the trailer she sits on is worth 8k and the diesel engine another 5k.  Im not sure just how much i can talk dowm.  Wet doesn't always mean rot, they can be dried out by keeping stored on the dry and leak source stopped.

Any idea what the intervals are on the rebuilds on a bravo 2?  I think ive read about cones, etc?  
  • Options
    I didn’t have any glow plugs on my Yanmars either but they always fired right up
  • Options
    They have stupid high compression. So long as the fuel system is clean and no leaks a hard to start issue in a DI diesel is usually going to be low compression.  

Im having issues with getting a sea trial arranged. The seller just had an pretty significant procedures and his location is more than an hour away from any acceptable body of water for a seatrial.    

While i want this vessel and in either diesel or 454 package with bravo 2 (sorry bravo 3 fans) I'm reluctant to purchase without putting her on plane for a sustained heat cycle or 2.  The engine and drive would more likey show issues under load than on muffs.  

At 18(hes negotiable on that) hes about 10k under east coast price for this model boat and that's without a trailer.  

I may see how close to 15k he will be willing to get and roll the dice.  

It is the hull i want and power train i want. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a bow thruster, I think you will be way ahead of the game price wise.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bow thruster with sky hook and joy stick would be awesome...probably cost more than my boat is worth!
  • Options
    The trailer is new as well, bought to bring in from cali.  I'm hoping its torsion axles, will find out soon.  

• Options
    I forgot to mention this boat has radar, any good way to test that on the trailer?  Going at 6 tonight to check out if the weather stays nice.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    The radar usually works better with a little movement, but should be able to test.  You want to check it against physical structures, not really weather.  Oh. I guess you said if weather is nice.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Boat is dirty but nice. 2019 trailer.  Electric over hydraulic.  Brakes on 2 of 3 axles.  Will need core work in the next few years.  

He's motivated.   Bow thruster with joy stick.  Nice teak faux cabin floors.  All the electronics like GPS and fish finder.  Skeg is a little thin from corrosion.  

I don't want another transom project but at 10k less than other boats plus am 8k trailer....i might need another 100 bucks of plywood and 500 in fiberglass/resin.  Bait tank on platform has to go. 

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Forgot to add hot water tank doesn't work.  Leaks and needs removal. Has all hook ups for central marine ac. Old one was removed
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    joy stick for a 28 ft boat? seems odd. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What size  boat is this? Sounds like they had more detail older?
  • Options
    28 ft by 9.5 beam plus swim platfrom. Came from cali. Some big money out there.  

Bow thruster would help trailer loading.  
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S_AXwf8bio is this the model? 

Had a boat like that, smaller, but same lay out.. the negatives were not as much room up top, but the positives were the windows down below.. One thing I wish the rinker 270 had was more windows down below and bigger. It was really cool being able to see outside when down below... 
  • Options
    Yes.  With a 9.5 beam this has a huge cockpit and tons of cabin space.  The admiral loves how much room is on top of the cabin for sun bathing.  

The back deck has plenty of space for 3 to fish.

Ac and extended swim platfrom are the first mods on my list.  I can handle using my portable generator for now.

Plan on running her on the trailer next week and checking all electronics.  Too far from water to sea trial.  

If it checks out and another buyer doesn't beat me im buying.  

• Options

It's slightly bigger than my 235 fv
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a lot of boat. I like the foul weather capability. Hope everything works out.
  • Options
    Being that our spring time and summers are known for thunder storms with damaging winds and hail, that's why i chose this boat.  Similar hard top boats from other brands would run me double or triple and this will do the same job.  Good effiency hull with a manufacturers name other boaters love to hate!  

I have looked at other crusiers in similar 27 to 28 ft range with soft tops, i dont like having to stow a top each time i hear thunder crack.

My dad keeps his pontoon in a very protected deep cove with lots of tree protection.  He lost a top 2 years ago, those square aluminum big pontoon tops are much beefier than what are on most of our boats.