342 Breaker Panel Access

DanWDanW Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
I searched the forum and found several threads about how difficult it is to get access behind the breaker panel next to the microwave in a 2002 342, but couldn’t find anything about how you actually do it. It seems it would be easy if the smoked plastic door could be removed, but I don’t see how without disassembling the entire shelf. Is there an easier way to gain access? Or what’s the easiest way to get behind the panel?

thanks,
Dan
2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
1998 Regal 2100 LSR

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my '03, I had to cut the smoked plastic door to remove it.  Then it was easy to remove the breaker panel.  I was able to reinstall the door as two separate pieces (left and right sides, with the top and bottom pieces removed).  

Disassembling the shelf from inside the boat is almost impossible.  
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are lucky, you can squeeze the panel cover out. Cutting is an option. 

No reason to take the shelf apart. You might need to pull the frig out though to unbundle extra main incoming power so the panel will pull put far enough to work on. 

FYI: while the panel is out you can get led bulbs to replace the ones that backlight the panel. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • DanWDanW Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    That was my thought too - cutting the panel cover. I was trying to avoid that. Thanks guys!
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was really freaked out about cutting mine.  Before you put it back together, just cut off the bottom and top pieces.  Nobody will ever notice they are gone.  
  • seadogsseadogs Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    I warmed mine up  with a hair dryer to get it out. It made it flex just enough  then filled  it down on the bottom  to get it back in. 
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I was looking at that a few days ago and thought "How in the world do you get this thing out?  And what idiot designed it this way?".

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea it took me some time to work the plexiglass out but it came out, then I trimmed it at home before putting back on so that it went on easy and will come off easy for the new owner...
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine was screwed on. 
    Agree the plexiglass is screwed in, but after removing the screws it’s such a tight fit that it’s very hard to pry out. Comes out, but is frustrating. After a light trim it went back in easy and then I screwed it back in to place.

Just to follow up, I was able to get the plexiglass out. I found I could push on the top shelf and it moved just enough to slip the plexiglass out. So, then I replaced all the burnt out panel lights. I know that’s not a necessity, but I like things to work. Thanks for the help everyone!

Dan
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR
    edited July 2020
    Hopefully you replaced all of the panel bulbs with LED bulbs, it’s a great upgrade as they will continue to keep burning out every year. The led uses so little power that I just left the panel lights on all weekend.

Yes, replaced all the panel lights with LED, so hopefully I won’t have to do that again for a while. 
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR
    Good! Should be good for the life of the boat!