Tools On Board

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
I took home my tool bag that I’ve been keeping in the V birth storage bin to organize it. I didn’t realize how much I had in it. This doesn’t count the full tool box and storage bin I keep in the engine room! I’m one of those guys that would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

2008 330EC

Comments

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need zip ties! - have the same kind of stuff - a mini set for the jetski...but the zip ties always save me when miles away from home. 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    You need zip ties! - have the same kind of stuff - a mini set for the jetski...but the zip ties always save me when miles away from home. 
    You think I would forget zip ties @J3ff ??!!!

2008 330EC
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I just used a crows foot for the first time last week to change a sensor on my truck. One of those things you rarely need but when you do it sure helps. Without it I would have had to pull apart a bunch of other things to get to it. 

I think the next thing I'm buying is shorty wrenches, when you need them they are a time saver. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ahh there they are! 
    Yes, @Aqua_Aura crows feet and stubby wrenches come in handy! 
    2008 330EC
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    TonyG13 said:
    Duct tape!
    I do have electrical tape clipped to the handle of the bag. Remember, this isn’t the tool kit for the boat. I used this bag over the winter and it pretty much had everything I needed. I have another full set and more in the engine room. I’ve been trying to convince myself I don’t need the bag anymore!
    2008 330EC
    I keep a roll of gorilla tape on board. That stuff is super strong. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    A multimeter and spare fuses are a must. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see 5200 or needle nose pliers!  But I do see a lot of stuff i don't even keep on board. 

You've got to be the most popular guy at the docks when someoene needs a quick repair.   
    Spare fuses and needle nose pliers are in the engine room tool box.
    2008 330EC
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I'm not sure I'd want to post all the tools, let alone the spares, that I carry on board.  Almost a bit embarrassing, but I will say that I've saved many a boaters' weekends besides my own.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Engine room tool box. I also have another plastic ammo box with parts dedicated to the generator also a bin with fluids and cleaning supplies.

2008 330EC
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    I gotta do the engine room boxes this fall. That is the best place for that stuff. I have small buckets with engine fluids, etc stuffed under bow seats. No good.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    I keep so many tools on board that it almost acts as a weight to keep the bow down.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I've always bought Craftsman tools for my home workshop, but I hate to admit those suitcase-style tool kits from Harbor Freight are cheap and usually have what I need so I have one each for the truck and the boat. I also never leave home without my Benchmade folding knife and a Leatherman tool. For materials, Rescue Tape, JBWeld, various zip ties and obviously duct tape. I think I'd have done OK if I'd been on Apollo 13. :smiley: 
    Andy
    I bought a toolset for the boat from harbor freight thinking it was the same tools hanging from the rack. It was certainly not, atleast in the kit I bought. Their icon tools are actually really well built. The benefit of craftsman is being able to swap it out whenever with no hassle and now that most Lowe's carry the full line it's easy. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:
    The benefit of craftsman is being able to swap it out whenever with no hassle and now that most Lowe's carry the full line it's easy. 
    Gotta be careful with the Craftsman returns now. I was behind a guy at Lowe's trying to get a new screwdriver. They said it had to be an "exact" replacement and model number. The catch is they changed sizes/numbers over the years so he was out of luck. He was definitely p!ssed. 
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Harbor Freight started in Camarillo, CA and in the '80s I lived nearby their first headquarters where they had an outlet store. Back then the tools were Taiwan sourced and so brittle it was like they were made of compressed yak dung or something that wasn't metal. :smiley:
    Andy
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @andyd LOL
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    edited December 2021
    Hey so....got this knife today. Gonna rig it up near the anchor windlass. Morakniv cork floating serrated knife. Really cool. Weighs nothing.
    Sorry for the poor pic.

*** made in Sweden. Quality is exceptional 

Got a nice stainless multi tool for the waste/water caps etc. Gonna keep it handy in one of the stern drink holders. (with a keyfloat on it)

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mattie said:
    Got a nice stainless multi tool for the waste/water caps etc. Gonna keep it handy in one of the stern drink holders. (with a keyfloat on it)

I especially like the 5 o'clock!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool!

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/