Small leak of water in our bedroom , any ideas?

scousinescousine Member Posts: 73
We just bough a month ago this boat and as any boat of that many years there is always little things that comes up (hoping they are all little ) We noticed the rug in our bed room, small spot was wet and dried but still a small wet spot bottom right of this picture in front of the cabinet. As there is a sink in the cabinet with water coming in through pipes ,our only thought is may be a leak there. Anyone ever had this situation . 

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the sealant around the port lights on the boat. If you have any gaps between the white plastic and the stainless beauty ring, water can get in there. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
     I spent a year on this. I didn't listen to everyone else. Here's my advice.

1. Sit in the boat with nothing else on and listen to hear if the fresh water pump kicks on.   - My hot water fitting in the bathroom was leaking.  Inspect EVERY hose fitting at the sinks and see if there's a leak. If the pump does not kick on at all, then it probably isn't it. 

Then:

2. One or two at a time, seal EVERY SINGLE SCREW on the outside, windows and rub rail.

If it's not fixed continue.

3. Reseal windows.

If still not fixed, the last thing is the bow rail screws.. hopefully it isn't that because they are pretty impossible to get in and out as one of them always ends up spinning in its hole.

Lets just hope it's fixed by #2. 
  • Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    x2 on what @J3ff said but would add the windshield screws under the vinyl covers, any snaps screwed into the deck to re-sealing list. I also sealed the three hatches with butyl tape. I did all those over the off season and no water this year.
  • scousinescousine Member Posts: 73
    I think i might have found where the water is coming , even in my engine room above water line where there is the gen i can see water after it has rained . What sealant would you recommend, i think i have a silicone job needed here 
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4000 UV. Remove as much of the old caulk as you can. Use masking tape to get a nice result. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use 3m4000uv to rebed that area. Do not use silicone. It will make a mess and you will not be happy with it pealing in a few years. Be sure to tape the area off with painters tape so your job looks professional when finished. The covers for the vents do come off. Take out the screws and slowly work it up. There will be sealant underneath, but the job will turn out better if you remove and reseal it. Just my 2 cents worth.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I redid that exact same area on mine last with  4000UV and I'm not happy with it.  I need to redo it.  I did not remove it first as Greg suggested, so maybe I'll have to try that.  Although I do not think water can come into cabin from that area, it just keeps it from entering the blower vent area (not always a good job of that either).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 4200UV is not really a ‘caulk’ per se. Been there too. lol. Be better off with a true marine caulk like boatlife. You can get it UV resistant too. 

I did my blower vent covers with butyl tape finally. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    The only other item i would suggest that hasn't been mentioned here is to fill that sink with water. Open and or remove all the drawers and then let it drain.  See if you have a leak around your sink drain fittings or through hull. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SORRY....I can not resist - "small leak of water in the bedroom" you say????? better get better quality "Depends".....Ha Ha .....yes?  :-)
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    SORRY....I can not resist - "small leak of water in the bedroom" you say????? better get better quality "Depends".....Ha Ha .....yes?  :-)
    Are you off your meds again MT?
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh crap Steve, I may have skipped a day! Thanks.
  • scousinescousine Member Posts: 73
    edited August 2020
    Ok bit of a surprise last night it had not been raining for several days and while today I planned to seal as much as i can,  notice the small area in front in the cabinet in our room was wet again? Could the AC in the bed room have anything to do with this. ( still will seal what i can because there was also water when it rained in the engine room where the generator is above the water line (stbd)
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    It’s possible that the drain for the ac pan is clogged and is overflowing. Not sure if that water can get to the carpet though.
    2008 330EC
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Dream_Inn said:
    I redid that exact same area on mine last with  4000UV and I'm not happy with it.  I need to redo it.  I did not remove it first as Greg suggested, so maybe I'll have to try that.  Although I do not think water can come into cabin from that area, it just keeps it from entering the blower vent area (not always a good job of that either).
    Correct, no entry to the cabin.  Here's what it looks like (on a 370).  Solid fiberglass except for the two blower hoses.